The perpetual music thread

We need one of these.

Because of Geoffrey’s last attempt to restart the music thread in Slack, I’ve been on a video game music bender… more specifically reimagined vidya music. If you like Zelda and prog, this might work. Otherwise it’s just nice to watch (and kickstart a new music thread): The soundtrack of Ocarina of Time, but it's a prog rock concept album - YouTube

3 Likes

Thanks, emp, those guys are super talented. Great arrangements of a classic soundtrack.

I’m with you on the video game music bends. I love how it can bring back that atmosphere of when the game was first experienced.

For those who have not been exposed yet, I introduce what I think is one of the most epic orchestral arrangements of a classic melody from a 90’s RPG. The sounds are multi layered so grab the headphones or turn up your surround system and enjoy the ear candy. (And the eye candy on the bongos).

Watch “Chrono Cross -Time’s Scar- (Boston Live 2014)” on YouTube

1 Like

Nice! Here are my two contributions.

Always loved Rodrigo Amarante’s Narco’s theme and recently learned the chords on the guitar. Its okay. We can do minor chords, really we can :grin:

This Portico Quartet track I really like and more straightforwardly felicitous than the mournful tune above:

1 Like

Much preferred the quartet track. Very pleasant and wholesome.

Art being the expression of an experience, if I was to make music, it would be felicitous. No other possibility.
But the human condition is not invisible to me, forgotten, or repugnant, may it be in its musical expression ripe with grandeur, tragedy, or the beauty of sorrow. It is the realm in which my fellow human beings live. The realm where ‘I’ lived. In the absence of identity, there is an un-imaginable appraisal of the feats of humanity, which is only on par with the appraisal of its flaws. How would one care otherwise?
Here are a few piano pieces I’m enjoying these days. None of those are supposed to sound ‘actualist’. What kind of identity would this be, anyway, who’d judge what is, and is not, ‘actualist’, in the creations of humanity?
To set the mood, a nocturne :wink: (and an evil (morty) one hahaha)

In case you were wondering if it was only technical ability that was appreciated ^^, like in some kind of cold and robotic freedom, here is a counter example, and long term favourite of mine.

Let’s end in style, lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv6Th7kJ64Q

1 Like

Holy Christ, Geoffrey. Things just went left. I found myself wondering what I would think of BJM’s piece if I had simply been exposed to the audio and had not seen the outrageous title and head-scratching video. Looking at the track listing of their album, I’m vaguely curious as to whether the track titled “Bring Me the Head of Paul McCartney on Heather Mill’s Wooden Peg” was actually inspired by a seething disdain for a Beatle and his spouse. There are some who argue that the Beatles initiated the cultural decline in the West, so maybe they are of that school of thought.

The Rammstein piece sounded pleasant, if a bit eerie, so the visuals were jarring in comparison. That is until I read the lyrics and now consider the visuals tame relative to the song’s themes. The psyche is a frightful place.

Rammstein - Mein Herz brennt (English Translation)

[Intro]
Now, dear children, pay attention
I am the voice from the pillow
I brought you something
Have ripped it out of my chest
With this heart, I have the power
Blackmail the eyelids
I sing until the new day comes
A bright light in the heaven’s sky

[Chorus]
My heart burns

[Verse 1]
They come to you at night
Demons, ghosts and black elves
They crawl up from the cellar rows
And will take a look under your blanket

[Pre-Chorus]
Little children listen now
I brought something to you

[Chorus]
My heart burns
My heart burns
Ad
[Verse 2]
They come to you at night
And steal your small hot tears
They wait till the moon awakes
And push them in my cold veins

[Pre-Chorus]
Little children listen now
I sing 'til the day awakes

[Chorus]
My heart burns
My heart burns
My heart burns
My heart burns

[Verse 3]
With this heart I have the power
To blackmail the eyelids
I sing 'til the day wakes up

[Instrumental Bridge]

[Chorus]
My heart burns
My heart burns
My heart burns (My heart)
My heart burns
(My heart burns)
(My heart burns)

Things going left was the idea hahaha.

RICHARD:I am full of admiration for the ‘me’ that dared to do such a thing. I owe all that I experience now to ‘me’. I salute ‘my’ audacity.

Who is that ‘me’, if not humanity?
‘I’ am humanity. And as such, ‘my’ destiny can be achieved.
“Pleasant and wholesome” could become a refuge, a hiding place, for an individual ‘I’, a special ‘I’, fortified in dissociation from the dark soil of humanity by its acquired ‘actualist identity’.
If one is to be humanity, then nothing of humanity shall be foreign to one.
“The psyche is a frightful place” indeed.
What is it that Richard admires about ‘me’? Daring, and audacity.

2 Likes

It’s nice to see IT has other interests than just eating children(not saying there’s anything wrong with that…cause overpopulation) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@solvann Good thing you only posted the audio :grimacing:
Or else I’d have thought you had taken my “nothing of humanity shall be foreign to one” to such lengths as to be moderated hahaha. (not by me tho :sunglasses:)

Love the video but couldn’t find it in good quality.

The video uploaded on YouTube I consider as fairly decent quality at 480p. Ah, Paris. Makes me nostalgic for the days of the Gibet de Montfaucon. Justice - Stress (Official Video) - YouTube

@rick I think he meant the audio quality :grin:

For those of you who went through the video, nothing like an old classic to chill down hahaha…
(plus, tony allen on the drums eh)

4 Likes

(post deleted by author)

La Ritournelle is my favorite song and lately it keeps popping up in my life serendipitously.

Here’s my submission, chosen for the merits of the video (NSFW):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcPNrqsXfg

1 Like

Haha my man @edzd. I’m sure you’ve seen this one :grin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUirvquGjlI

I’d like one of those circular keyboards, please. Also maybe a burning one for clout.

Anyway, back on topic (and I’m hoping YouTube won’t be a bitch about it):

https://youtu.be/pcBILqoNOiQ

Ah, YouTube was a bitch about it. Sorry for using mail.ru instead:

@geoffrey yeah, I’m obsessed with Vladimir. Are you stalking me??? :rofl:

Since everything goes… why not french rap hahaha.
Translation is not as good as I’d have hoped, but… eh, what can you expect from french people :baguette_bread: :fr: :joy:.
Hint: the guy hates everybody :grin: