Push notifications

Sorry if this was covered elsewhere, but can push notifications be set up for android and ios? It seems like it’s something that can be done.

Here’s a comment from another discourse forum:

For self hosted forums, push notification only works for Android, and you should activate this option : push notifications prompt to invite your users to receive notification. It’s not activated by default

Yet the following discussion makes it seem like it’s also possible for ios devices.

Let’s see…

Well, @rick, as I understand, here is the thing:

For self hosted forums, push notification only works for Android, and you should activate this option : push notifications prompt to invite your users to receive notification. It’s not activated by default

Indeed, and we have it activated:

Yet the following discussion makes it seem like it’s also possible for ios devices.

Indeed, but that was a fix on a service provided to discourse.org users only. The last news I’ve found (June '21) are still the same. This is why, according to the Co-founder of Discourse:

“self-hosted push notifications would mean you have to register an account with Apple. Discourse can not handle data of forums we do not host”.

When asked:

When you say register an act with apple, how would I do that as it’s not a dev act for an app but specifically a website using the discourse app. Is that possible??

He explained:

You would have to

1. Fork Discourse Hub
  2. Register a dev account with apple
  3. Repackage as a standalone app for your site
  4. Publish to the app store
  5. Build infra to handle the push notifications

I am afraid there is no easy solution here, on Android - Google provide a public proxy. Apple do not do that.

Here is the source: iOS Mobile App Notifications - #40 by sam - support - Discourse Meta

So I take this opportunity to ask you: are you receiving notifications in ANY way? Do you have only an iOS device?

Hi Miguel - I am receiving very delayed emails that sometimes do not come through chronologically, eg, I might receive an email perhaps 1-2 hours after a message is posted on the forum, or I’ll receive an email for a message that was posted prior to an earlier message for which I already received an email for.

Other than the standard email notification that I receive for all emails in general, I am not receiving push notifications directly on my device when a message is posted (I enabled notifications and set all categories and topics to ‘Watching’).

For example, this message you @ addressed to me, I have not received an email nor a push notification.

I have an Android device. I was just mentioning iOS out of concern for those who have an Apple phone/tablet.

Never had an issue with the Slack push notifications, for example.

I have an Android device. I was just mentioning iOS out of concern for those who have an Apple phone/tablet.

Understood.
Yes, iOS users are shouting at Apple in several languages…

So, back to Android: you had installed the Slack app or you were accessing Slack via Chrome -or other browser-?

It says that once the push notification has been activated, an invitation would be sent to users prompting them to accept push notifications. I have not seen/ received any invitation of that sort.

Oh, I see.

I had the Slack app installed. I also installed the worthless-looking Discourse app.

OK.
Another question: do you/can you acces this forum via a PC (Windows, say)?

Yes, I am using a PC at the moment

Good! Then the following is easier to test right now.
You don’t receive this kind of notifications on this PC either?:

If not, verify that you have this option in “Allow”:

Can you send another message? I was away from my computer for a moment and the notification may have come through.

Yes. This one

No.

My browser is allowing notifications from this site, but is not receiving any

browser_XPSEUC7idU

I just flipped off and then flipped on again the notifications. It says it is enabled. And I receive even the notification that it is enabled. But no notifications from posts to the forum.

Oh, but I see that you are with the desktop application, that is basically the same, but please try this:

• Close that and open the forum in a normal Chrome tab (browser)
    Let me know when done

Now press the + and open a New tab (after that, go back here!)

1 Like