Kub933's Journal

I’m sold.

This thing has really been an eye opener and lots of fun to observe. I open my instagram and what I describe in the previous posts is blatantly demonstrated : There is the beautiful women, the guys who are ‘living the life’, some other people acting out/to the dramas that humanity has weaved etc.

Essentially it is a bunch of people screaming out - “Look here :wave: :wave: I am doing that ‘thing’ that you said life is all about and I am winning at it! Can I have my acknowledgment now please” And of course we all know the inevitable outcome of such pursuits where sooner or later the ‘bad’ starts to creep in.

But what I never observed was the aspect of beauty/elegance specifically, of that quality which arises when ‘I’ am aligned with the ‘truth’, it is a currency within the ‘real world’, something that ‘I’ am always after.

Sadly though this very pursuit is what binds ‘me’ into forever pursuing someone else’s values. And there is so much more to this, it seems to go as far as I am willing to look… I can see how this ‘set up’ inevitably leads to malice, because we are all trapped playing the same values and so there will inevitably be power battles between groups who would rather shift the values in their favour.

I can see how this ‘set up’ leads to depression for those who “just don’t have it”, that X factor that everyone is after.
So how cool to see that there is a way of being which is superior to this!

One way that this beauty/elegance expresses itself for me is in simple interactions with others.
What I notice is that each interaction with another identity has a certain pre-arranged ‘rhythm’, whether I experience the interaction as awkward vs smooth is based entirely on how well both of us are able to stick to the ‘beat’.
Of course this ‘rythm/beat’ is nothing but the groundwork of values, morals and beliefs (overlaying the instinctual being) which we are both operating under, somehow trying to align them for a smooth interaction.

I have noticed this especially when doing my hen party jobs, there is a certain ‘cadence’ that those interactions are meant to take place to (apparently), these are based on my beliefs and expectations. What happens is that jobs which I experience as going smoothly, to plan etc are simply the ones where the ‘cadence’ dictated by my beliefs aligns with ‘theirs’, we have both played our performances well :smiley:

BUT the times when I have had EE’s/PCE’s when doing these I noticed that this aspect was completely missing. There was no longer a ‘rhythm’ that ‘I’ had to anxiously keep up with. What replaced it was a free-flowing intimacy which was invulnerable to these sorts of things. Then I was able to be spontaneous and not just to my benefit but theirs also! Because I could tell they were enjoying my company, they wanted me there, they wanted to interact with me, even though there was not even an inch of pretence that I was living up to, this was me as I actually am and they liked this me.

4 Likes

The other thing that becomes clear is why feeling happy and harmless must be in place in order for me to live spontaneously, in order for that which is described in the previous posts to be discarded.

It is because in normal interactions those beliefs and morals are merely the tip of the iceberg which cover up the powerful affective currents flowing underneath. This is easily observed in the fact that all interactions are smooth when ‘I’ am gone (as in a PCE). They simply lack that element of ‘friction’ that is inevitable when 2 identities interact.

Playing to the script ensures some form of structure and so beauty becomes ‘my’ reward for aligning myself with that ‘truth’.

3 Likes

There is something that I have been seeing lately that is very cool. Often in the past when I contemplated what self-immolation would entail there was a sense that with ‘me’ disappearing there would be a void of sorts.

What I am seeing lately is that what actually comes after is a completely new consciousness which is utterly superior. It’s a tricky one to explain but the difference is HUGE.

I saw this the other day when I was driving my car, that it is not just that ‘I’ disappear leaving some void, but that when ‘I’ disappear there is something that is automatically ‘live’. that something replaces ‘me’, it is complete in a way that is incredible to behold.

I guess this initial misconception is because ‘I’ fear that without ‘me’ this body will struggle to survive, so then ‘I’ imagine actual freedom will be this weird zombie-like state where there is all these key functions missing, because apparently ‘I’ was needed for all these things.

But it is actually the other way around, ‘my’ disappearance kicks things into this new superior gear that ‘I’ cannot even imagine. And there is no ‘hand-over period’, no void that then has to be filled by something. It is a shift from one way of consciousness into a completely superior way of consciousness. In the new way of consciousness this body has a certain integrity that is light-years ahead of this uneasy arrangement which is happening right now.

I have been getting a flavour of this a lot since, this ambrosial seeing that what is coming is better in every regard and that it is utterly complete in every way.

It makes sense though! Because along the way it is always the same, I find time and time again that the 3rd alternative is better than both good and bad, it is always that something which is even better.

This is a great pointer whenever one is looking to locate the 3rd alternative actually… to look for something that is even better than the current possible options, it is always superior.

This thing I am getting a flavour of lately is so unbelievably superior which also allows me to see that there is nothing at all to be afraid of. What could possibly go wrong when this new consciousness automatically swings in?

6 Likes

This morning the focus is on enjoyment and appreciation. I noticed that although I have been very focused on habituating feeling good, I have not been focused much on taking things into the next gear and actively enjoying and appreciating this moment of being alive.

It appears that those are 2 different actions. Feeling good is like a baseline which is somewhat more passive. From that baseline I am in position to launch myself into actively enjoying and appreciating this moment of being alive - this is definitely something I do, like an activity I participate in.

Moving from feeling good into enjoying and appreciating is like jumping into a higher gear. What I notice is that as soon as I do this I am experiencing pure intent.

It seems feeling good without the active component of enjoyment and appreciation is more likely to stagnate and devolve into some form of bland or bad feeling. Actively enjoying and appreciating has the effect of brining my attention to this moment, because what else could I be enjoying and appreciating?

Whereas without this, it seems I am more likely to ‘float away’ into some ‘other place’ where the good and bad feelings are never far away.

So actively enjoying and appreciating this moment of being alive cements feeling good and takes it onto a higher level by bringing my attention to this moment and this place. For that same reason it automatically orients me towards sensuosity and pure intent because those cannot be found ‘out there’ (in the psyche somewhere), they are only here where this moment is happening.

So this step that I take when I actively enjoy and appreciate has the effect of cutting through everything else. It brings me right here where this moment is happening, there is purity, there is delight, all of ‘my’ reality is becoming more insignificant.
This is the very same reason why I can resist it, because heading in that direction is at the same time heading away from the real world, from ‘my’ world.

This is the balancing act at the moment, because there is objections towards this enjoyment and appreciation, reasons why I need to attend to various ‘real world matters’. Although this is mostly a habitual response as every time I look into these they are seen to be fluff.

There are also times I might dip into feeling bad and I notice from that point it is silly to try to jump to enjoyment and appreciation. At that point I might have to take a step back, potentially do some investigation, get back to feeling good as a baseline and then I am at that launching position again to go for enjoyment and appreciation.

3 Likes

http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/library/topics/instincts.htm

So I was thinking a lot about the above diagram over the weekend and how it relates to the application of the method. For me it addressed some difficulties that I have been having recently.

It is actually a really great piece for anyone who hasn’t read that page, also most of the below post will make references to the information outlined in the link.

What I notice (this is also something Peter mentions in the Actualist guide - Peter – Guide on the Path to Actual Freedom) is that there is indeed 2 steps in addressing any deeply ingrained emotional structures. There is the initial elimination of the beliefs and there is the direct experience of the raw instinctual passions underneath :

Once sufficient of this dismantling of one’s social identity has been done, it is then possible to begin to experience the instinctual passions deeply without acting on them – once the ‘lid is off’ then I can have a good look around inside – neither repressing nor expressing – and begin to experience ‘me’ at the very core of my being. The only way it is possible to undergo a significant change in life is by experiencing something deeply and understanding the experience fully. I don’t know about a map at this stage – it’s more like throwing away the water wings and snorkel, strapping on a scuba tank, plunging into one’s own psyche and rummaging around the bottom, looking under all the rocks in order to see what the bottom really looks like. The spiritual practice of transcending one’s undesirable emotions means that this type of in-depth investigation is deliberately avoided and in real-world therapy any investigations are restricted by morals and ethics to a mere paddling around on the surface

and

A variety of weird experiences are possible for one’s traditional defences, ways of coping or ways of avoiding, are no longer available. It is often as though one is naked in the world and it takes nerves of steel to not raise one’s traditional defences but to stay with any feelings of vulnerability and fear. Each time one dares to fully lower one’s guard and experience the consequences as only temporary and unsustainable instinctual emotional reactions, one gains more confidence to keep going, no matter what.

The first step of eliminating the beliefs is somewhat like untangling what is otherwise a big knotted mess, this is an important step as it provides clarity.
Thus the emotional structure becomes somewhat simplified, however the powerful affective backing which sustains it is still there.
In fact untying the knots might get me to experience the passions fuelling this drama even more acutely.

What I notice I have been doing is focusing almost exclusively on this more cognitive step of untying the various knots and expecting the entire thing to be resolved. When the powerful passions were exposed I was still attempting to continue investigating further, somehow reducing them further or hoping that I can find some new piece of information that will make everything disappear.
But there was not much more to reduce, not really anything left to untie.

It was time for the 2nd step, once the knot is untied the way forward is to experience those unfettered passions directly and fully, this can be quite intense at times and it can bring up all sorts of weird emotional reactions. This is also the step where things can shift at a deep level thus leading to significant change, I know this from past experience.

So I wanted to write this for anyone else who has had experiences that more or less follow the below :

1 - I notice that there is some feeling pattern that I keep getting stuck in despite my best efforts to remain feeling good.

2 - I go into great effort of investigating this thing and there is some positive change.

3 - However this thing hangs on, no matter what angle I look at this thing from I just cannot seem to change how I feel.

So it seems to me in a case like this, it is indeed time to go deep-sea diving and fully experience what is going on underneath. The last thing I will say is that this will not be a one and done sorta thing (at least not in my experience), the passions will be experienced deeply and each time this is done one is chipping away. Eventually this will lead to significant change.

What I also realised is that this aspect of deep-sea diving, of daring to allow myself to experience and live these passions is what Srinath was alluding to in his notes whilst a feeling being - Gnomic Mutterings from the Outer Rim

When I investigate I go through all these little emotional tunnels. Once I squeeze myself into all these dark, anxious tunnels, through those 'pinch points’ and sit there for a while, the tunnels collapse. It was my reaction (my aaargh!) that made the tunnel in the first place. Of course the network of tunnels doesn’t disappear, but by collapsing a few I get closer to realising the entire network can disappear. The network is more fragile than it looks.

4 Likes

This is the bit that seems key, the step I was not willing to do. I wanted to think about something, find some info and have it disappear, this is a form of avoidance in itself. This anxious hole is a part of ‘me’ which I have separated from, it will not be resolved if the separation continues.

I have to ‘sit there for a while’, as in fully live this thing so that the understanding can be total, then things can indeed shift. But they will not shift as a result of avoiding or pasting something else on top.

3 Likes

The last thing I would add is that in my experience this is the step where various forms of actualist morality or actualist fantasies will pop up.

I have identified the pattern, I have done some investigation, I am unwilling to fully experience what is underneath and so I split myself away and avoid. I then paste various 'actualist concepts’ and imagine/convince myself that change has happened, or plan for what I will do to self immolate etc.

4 Likes

Is it part of our actualist morality to “pat others on the back”?

I am floored reading these posts. Aghast at my own ineptitude, yet breathless and encouraged that such understanding is available for me to read.

In all my years, I just read words on a screen, not really seeing the words or the screen.

There was a 3D quality to the words in these posts. Like each word stood out, the background somewhat receding.

Kudos Kuba.

1 Like

Awesome :grin: I’m glad to hear that it makes things click a little more for you. I’m also testing all this out on myself at the moment so we will see how it goes.

It’s funny really because I am just re-writing what Peter has already written but I guess it’s nice to present things from a slightly different angle. It’s nice for me to put it together too as it helps with my own understanding.

1 Like

Your comments about there being some “insights” which will make it go away; the instinctual reality is immune to insights.

What Claudiu has recently reiterated, that one must WANT to enjoy and appreciate, is in stark contrast to my animal soul.

At some point, (maybe now is as good as any point), a certain basic instinct of truly selfish desire must drive one forward. To want, without moral or social justification, the VERY best experience of being myself.

To enjoy the ‘being’ of the doing of enjoying and appreciating.

Like Vineeto said in the link about drugs, and insights, and other things, temporarily disabling the normal self. A powerful WANTING to fully enjoy being alive.

1 Like

I like to lie down in the dark, maybe have a long bath when I’m doing this type of exploration. I find my emotional states are more accessible than when I’m upright or writing.

I know some people just fall asleep when they attempt this though, it depends on one’s makeup :slight_smile:

Have fun!

1 Like

So things are looking good lately due to the change in approach. I wanted to write about this in case anyone else might be going down the same dead-end.

What I noticed I have been doing for a while now is using notes as somewhat of a buffer to actually feeling what is going on. So when various feelings came up instead of feeling them fully and conducting the investigation this way, I would instead write notes which allowed me to sort of ‘think about actualist stuff’ whilst not having to ever experience those parts of myself fully.

It created this buffer that kept me at a safe distance and turned it all into purely intellectual looking. Also instead of a genuine exploration culminating in the discovery of facts I was instead projecting actualist concepts onto these feelings which I was separating from. All in all this approach was a waste of time.

I only wish that we had someone like @geoffrey spend a good portion of a zoom video explaining that this is a dead end so that I could have heeded his advice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So the past few days have been no more notes, the focus has been on sincerely looking at these feelings as they come up, without trying to change them, distance from them, deny them, fight them, moralise them etc

Simply applying awareness-cum-attentiveness to these feelings, initially this was quite intense, perhaps because I have been running from them for a while? Either way sooner or later they would subside and then I would find myself experiencing a freedom from those emotions, not a desperate escape from them but a genuine freedom from having this particular emotion in my life, that ahhhhh feeling as the world opens up and inner conflict disappears - absolutely priceless!

Now the other thing which happened this morning, sort of a “Duh” moment… Is I realised that sincerely exploring these emotions along with understanding their cause actually culminated in me no longer - ‘going there’. This is all super simple, down to earth kinda stuff, as in I have been there before I am not doing it again, but in order to make this super simple decision I had to actually explore the whole issue fully, no longer through some buffer.

The way I experienced all this is that initially the emotion was felt like this beast that I was running from and was unwilling to even face/acknowledge so I shoved it into a dark corner.

Then I tied myself in all these knots so that I never had to look this beast in the eye. BUT what actually happened when I dared to do this is that I realised this beast is actually me, sat in that dark corner and blindly screaming for no reason at all other than it being what ‘I’ do / what ‘I’ am.

Seeing the above clearly and fully is what allows me to see the silliness of it all.

5 Likes

The other thing which has helped me see all this clearer, to see the role that the blind instinctual passions play is having a dog.

A dog does not have the ability to be intelligent and so his reactions perfectly demonstrate how ‘I’ function deep down.

We have been trying to train poncho out of his separation anxiety and when he is experiencing those panic attacks when we leave it is so clear that these affective mechanisms take no note of any intelligent reasons, any factual information etc, they are simply wired to fire at a certain stimulus, and so if the stimulus is present the passions are triggered, once they are triggered the threat is ‘real’.

I can see this with poncho, he might spot a shadow somewhere and all of a sudden he is on high alert, there is ‘danger’, of course he is not aware of this happening but I can see that this organism is currently perceiving a ‘real threat’, whereas I am looking at this shadow and giggling.

But it is not so different in us humans, these passions are indeed blind, and they do not respond to reasons and facts. They need to be exposed and seen for what they are, I can never talk ‘myself’ out of ‘being’ with ‘good reasons’, these things happen on a level that simply does not respond to reasoning, to attempt to do so is to perform what we call intellectualising/psychologising/philosophising (I think pseudo-actualising should be added to the list too!). But they do respond to something, to the ability of this brain to be aware of its own functioning and as such to progressively see these passions for what they are - blind aka silly.

5 Likes

So this new approach has definitely been working, so much so that I have noticed that the only reason it stalls is that I put the breaks on. If I was to continue applying attentiveness in this way then ‘I’ really cannot maintain myself. I am hanging onto this fear and sorrow that is ‘me’. I am somewhat comfortable ‘being’, like I have reduced it this much and now I have dug my heels in and said that is it, no more :joy:.

It is actually quite fascinating, to see the reluctance to look, because if I look I will see that ‘I’ am not needed. So I let this certain current of sorrow and malice go unnoticed, this is ‘my’ hiding place.

It’s really cool to finally dig in though without keeping things at a distance, to see that this is me, and I am the one maintaining myself. And the thing is that there is only one thing to do (the thing I am clearly not wanting to do) which is to actually find out what happens at the next step. Not thinking and fantasising about it but actually taking that step without knowing in advance how it plays out. But for now I am clearly content in my little cell.

It’s been super cool to observe how ‘I’ simply find reasons to continue being sorrowful and malicious, I do this without end. Of course the way I sell it to myself is that if only I conquer this next danger/tragedy then things would be fine, then it is funny to see how I simply invent the next danger/tragedy, it is just what I do to continue being. And it is all unnecessary, I find problems so that I can find solutions and all this allows me to continue being.

2 Likes

Anything said to “praise” you will, apparently, keep you in place.

What will finally let us, the plebs, meet actual Kuba?

I may end up Moses, looking on to a land I never enter. However, there has been 103 billion of me, so no tragedy which is new there.

It, apparently, takes but a moment of pure contemplating, an obscure pondering of the environment, or what a experience of continuous apperceptive experience of people, places events is like, or a movie quote, a view from a balcony…

If I we’re you, I would be you. I you were me, you would be me.

So I noticed something cool today, I was going to calm it down with the realisations but this one came up on its own so here we go :smile:

I still notice myself at times drifting off into various fantasies, usually I would try to somewhat battle them but this morning I followed the fantasy through, without any actualist morality. What I saw very clearly is that what I desire is actually what the PCE demonstrates as a living experience.

So very often the fantasies will be about relating to other people in a certain way, in the fantasy there is ease, fun, laughter, I am able to interact with the person in intimacy and yet free of any feelings of insecurity, obligation, fears of hurting their feelings, being restricted by morals etc, all in all it is a fantasy of having a great time with others and being completely at ease with myself.
It was kinda funny to see this, that this thing which I desire the most deep down (which seems ‘out there’) is actually what the PCE demonstrates as an actuality, and on the lower level naive intimacy offers this also. It clicked in a split second that I have actually lived that very experience which the fantasy is after.

The other cool thing which I realised is that actual intimacy/naive intimacy actually allows to live what the fantasy hints at in a way that is very concrete and reliable as it does not depend on the other. Because when I am in that place it is irrelevant how the other is feeling, wether they are not ‘playing along’ etc, this kind of intimacy is not vulnerable to the other’s level or receptivity or their general predilection, as it is with intimacy which is based on an emotional connection.

So in short I saw that I can unequivocally live what the fantasy demonstrates 24/7 and that it is completely in my hands, therefore it is possible.

Since seeing this I have applied the same attention to other fantasies and it is all the same, they all revolve around the freedom from being ‘me’. There was another fantasy of ‘being someplace else’, there was this image of being completely lost in some wonderful place of nature, simply marvelling at the world around in utter freedom… Sounds kinda familiar :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It is just that normally I would project this fantasy and then believe that I cannot have that experience whilst I am sat at my desk at work, but I can have that very experience right now!

I guess the reason they are fantasies is because ‘I’ am somewhat content to remain rotten as opposed to committing myself fully to live that experience - and in the process removing anything that stands in the way (this is probably what I am resisting).

But something shifted in the seeing that the PCE offers the very thing I desire the most.

3 Likes

Looks like it is not an exaggeration at all to say that upon actual freedom all your deepest wishes are fulfilled and more. What the ‘being’ desires most is actually what is provided in actual freedom. As in utter safety, delight, intimacy and fun. Is this not what fear/security, belonging, desire etc are after? Albeit in a perverted, twisted, never able to attain it kinda way :joy:

2 Likes

Actually the main reason seems to be that I believe I can never live that, that it’s impossible, that it’s too good to be true, that I do not deserve it, that life is a vale of tears, that you cannot change human nature, all those good ones haha.

2 Likes

Such charming beliefs. What would we ‘be’ without them?