Alan’s next experiment

In some contexts that might make you more employable!

Regarding the record / don’t record issue, maybe it’s the millennial in me but I’m pretty ambivalent. I don’t think there is a 100% right answer either way, we’re all beginners at this. We have no idea what will happen on the video call, and no idea how some future ‘potential actualist’ (whatever that is) or potential employer may or may not respond to seeing it. It’s an experiment.

I would like this to be what each of us experiences tomorrow.

Sitting with friends, utterly relaxed and noticing that there was no personal agenda whatsoever, no plan to stir the conversation into a particular direction, nothing to emphasize or hide, no self-centredness or favouritism, no shame, shyness, embarrassment, no power or drive – just being as I was. Sitting in this group, as one of many, my sole interest was that everyone present (including me as one of those present) enjoyed themselves/ obtained the maximum benefit from our meeting.”
(Apologies to Vineeto)

I highly recommend becoming free of the human condition!

Go for it Henry. You have my 100% support. It is also the only thing one can do to impress Richard (from the horses mouth)

1 Like

He said something similar to me! I remember feeling very ‘taken aback’ that none of my usual tricks worked on them. It’s a very strange feeling.

It was/is a nice bit of back pressure for me - impress Richard, ‘I’ want that lol

Yes it can be quite a shock to discover that none of ones precious tricks and strategies work. Sometimes I think about emailing Vineeto and discover a reluctance to do so - it might be an admin matter, yet ‘I’ know
‘I’ can’t get away with bluffing, boasting, approval seeking, pretending, hiding, showing off, wanting answers or any other of these pathetic attempts to reinforce ‘my’ existence, even if attempting to cunningly disguise it as actualism progress.

Yes, it’s true for anything, so it seems wise to re-think our privacy expectations.

I do not mean by this that we should purposely expose ourselves to situations that can indeed generate problems of exposure, like so many people whose privacy has been violated or misused (memes, tweets, disclosed health conditions, personal data) with negative consequences in their work and family life.

But it is true that these possibilities are increasingly in other hands, and that it is a good opportunity to investigate what part of our precautions belong the sensible and what part to the self that we want to eliminate.

Personally I did’t know, so this lack of knowledge led me to choose to experiment with myself to see how I felt participating in this public forum (which I had not done in Richard’s) and without anonymity.

Although some of those negative aspects may emerge over time, so far the positive ones included witnessing emotional reactions related to how I value what my acquaintances or relatives may think of me, with my shame, with my fears, with my prestige, with exposing my defects, with my difficulties in articulating language or thought, with the possibility of being corrected, with the possibility that someone may use what I expose with bad intentions, etc.

I clarify, as on other occasions, that this is a descriptive and not a prescriptive comment, as I am not saying that all this cannot be achieved in private forums and/or preserving anonymity in our expositions.

It is an experiment with myself which, as such, I may change in the future.

Great to hear Miguel :grin::grin::grin::grin:

Hey everyone,

I’m posting this in both threads related to the Zoom call. Alan won’t be able to make it today as he had to go to the hospital for due to some complications related to his cancer. I’m not sure what this means for the video call today. Dona’s with him right now and asked me to let ya’ll know.