The perpetual music thread

No more hunting rats.

This cat is retired.

3 Likes

I understand something similar, so :+1:.
It is a funny addition that the one who exposes him and tells his wife is a rat/mouse :smiley: (plus, there is the subtlety that “rata” is slang for snitch, as “rat” in english :smile:).

1 Like

The plot thickens!

I guess the next guy can keep up the rat hunting until he gets snitched on.

A post was split to a new topic: ‘Men’ have to do , ‘women’ just ‘are’

I was going through the videos attached here. Except one or two, none of the others struck me as reflecting sensate world. Should we start a separate music thread that represents actualism, music that is not composed to evoke emotions?

Why do you think the types of music have to reflect the sensate world? Most of the songs I used to listen to I did so solely and simply to evoke emotions, it was very much about how the music made me feel rather than it as an experience. Then suddenly I found as I get felicitous and patches of EE’s I found a new level to enjoy music even more in a sensate manner. Including types of music that you might label “overly emotional”, it is just pleasurable sensation of sound for me. I just like what I like the sound of, I like a lot of different music from classical to heavy metal to pop to soul. In the same way that I enjoy the smell of petrol, the taste of chocolate or the feel of latex lol. It is just idiosyncratic to me.

5 Likes

Making A Song Using Random Objects - YouTube - There @Kiman, as actual as you can get for music! :smile:

On a more serious note though, this division of some music being more emotional and other music more sensate has no actual existence, it is projected. I was listening to this tune earlier on today Billie Eilish - Ocean Eyes (Official Music Video) - YouTube which you could say is very emotional and I used to experience it exactly that way.

Today listening to it though there was just a delight in the various sounds that are layered over each other, it was so wonderful to listen to and no sorrow spoiling it.

5 Likes

Actually sorry it may have been the remix - Billie Eilish - Ocean Eyes (Astronomyy Remix) - YouTube

Most prominent in your posts is your need for (and projection of) morality. Or right and wrong. Of what is ‘actualist’ and what is not. And your attempts at enforcing these standards.
Further, one particularity of religion (over morality) is that it separates the sacred and the profane in the world. Some things are separated from the rest and deemed sacred, the others are deemed profane. Foods, places, objects, art… music.
If you’re looking for a religion, you’re not going to find one here - except the one you’re making yourself.

In this attempted religion of actualism, ‘sacred’ music is defined by you as music “reflecting the sensate world”. This ‘sensate world’ is then something like a God, whose light can only be reflected - by certain things: the sacred things. Certain music, certain art, “reflect the sensate world”, and other don’t. So there is actualist music, and non-actualist music. Also actualist art, presumably. Food, why not… Clothes?

But there is no separation in the actual world. It’s like Richard pointing out that a polystyrene cup is no less ‘natural’ than anything else. There are no things that are more actual than others things. ‘Things’ are all apprehended by the senses. All music is sensate… vibrations of air molecules. If there is emotion, it’s only in the listener.

You then ask for a “separate” (:wink:) music thread that “represents actualism”… music “that is not composed to evoke emotions”. So it’s about the intention of the composer then? What if some actualist went on to make actualist music (?), and that music still evoked emotions in the listener? Would it then fail as actualist music? Or do we just take the composer’s word for it? Like some priest?
What kind of music would not fail that test by the way, I wonder, seeing that everybody is a feeling-being, who is feeling all the time, whatever music may or may not be playing - and those who are not feeling-beings will not have any emotions evoked by any music anyway.

3 Likes

My investigation into morality or right and wrong.

Why not? Hypocrisy is a soothing strategy or a coping mechanism that most people in real world engage in, including my own unconscious hypocrisies. It’s helpful to point out possible areas of hypocrisies. Intellectual dishonesty is not actualism, or do you mean to say it’s a part of it?

I have no authority to enforce anything.

Nice point.

You mistook me. I meant music conducive for actualism. Just like going for walks in nature or woods, or being alone is more likely to be conducive for EEs.

That’s fine. I’m just concerned that it’s better for the feeling-beings to hear the music that is more likely to facilitate EEs.

Why not? Composers very well know how to evoke emotions in their audience. Singers modulate their voice as well to create this effect.

1 Like

Natural sounds like waterfalls, chirpings of birds, rain sounds, air breezes, instrumental music played when the instrumentalist is in a joyful mood etc can fit the bill, for instance.

Notice how these “walks in nature or woods” recommendations are generalities, meant to make it somewhat easier, based on some assumed ‘general’ makeup of the identities addressed. It was the case for ‘me’, that it was somewhat easier (not more than that, not any kind of condition) to feel felicitous to the point of having an EE, in such settings. This might be due to some cultural associations of nature and woods with ‘peacefulness’ or ‘purity’, and also to the simple scarcity of usual triggers in such environment (especially if “being alone”)… again, for the kind of identities this advice is aimed at. For I’m not sure some hunter-gatherer would find “woods” to be particularly conducive to EEs.
So… this is all down to the identity. For it is what is standing in the way.
What music evokes felicitous feelings in this or that identity?
Notice how culturally influenced that probably is, then add on top personal idiosyncrasies. And any defined “actualist” music start sounding like actualist “official” music. For who is gonna decide what is and what is not? Me? Have you watched the videos above? :rofl:
By the way, if the criterium for actualist music is the evocation of felicitous feelings rather than other feelings, I’m like the last person to ask hahaha - for it’s all about what feelings are evoked, and none are here. Should we make a poll then? Amongst present identities?.. and just have it reflect cultural norms as to what ‘peaceful music’ is?

I’m not even mentioning the issues with surrounding oneself with actualist music, actualist books/movies, actualist stuff in general… which amounts to think oneself virtually free thanks to having just eliminated the possibility for (some) triggers. Bonus points if living totally alone.

Now if you want to make a separate thread with “waterfalls, chirpings of birds, rain sounds, air breezes, instrumental music played when the instrumentalist is in a joyful mood” you’re totally free to do so.
I might even enjoy it :grin:

1 Like

I’ve felt remarkably peaceful at times while listening to high-bpm trance and metal music, there’s something about this identity that really likes it. Pretty much the opposite of a quiet walk in the woods

u hunter-gatherer @henryyyyyyyyyy ? :rofl:

I went hunting one time but I missed badly… we do have a lot of berries around here though!

1 Like

Sometimes intense death metal actually is soothing or relaxing for me :smiley: Like the voice isn’t “ugly” anymore, it’s just another sound that harmonizes with the distortion of the guitars and it’s like all very pleasurable