Notifications

I think it could then end up weakening the forum because if an issue is, as you say, that people have to decide where to post what, etc., the chat can lead many, for that reason and/or for convenience, to return to discuss topics in the chat instead of adapting to the forum with its structure, its topics, its tags, etc.

Besides, what need it would cover that The Watercooler Chat Thread doesn’t? (leaving aside the notifications issue, because at least for me the important notifications are the ones related to what is written here in the forum, not in a chat).

Well, I have to attend to other things now. I think we are making good progress anyway.

Ok, I think it’s worth trying, and if it works well it will be awesome. If you’re willing to install the plug-ins so we can try it, even if you personally are opposed (if so I would ask for you to suspend final judgement until we try it :slight_smile: ), then great! If not then I will do it when I have the time, as I have a strong opinion that we should try it, though I don’t know yet whether we will keep it.

1 Like

I second Claudiu’s empirical approach although Miguel’s reasoning I consider very sound and he may well end up being correct in that with such little traffic users may well direct all their participation towards just one venue at the neglect of the other. My prediction is that the chat will end up consuming nearly all the participation and the activity on the forum will wither. But we’re scientists here so testing our predictions could be part of the game. Perhaps consider some metrics to evaluate the relative success or failure of the experiment.

2 Likes

No, of course I don’t have any problem about install it.
As I said somewhere else, experimenting can be good

2 Likes

Hey Miguel,

I just noticed this morning I seem to receive notifications about any action taken by anyone one the website. Is this because I have been made into a moderator?

I just started seeing this too, I think it’s a problem… maybe one of the plugins broke something?

Oh hi Claudiu, clearly I can’t use the site properly yet, I thought I sent a private message to Miguel haha.

No, @Kub933, you have not been made a moderator as I can see and indeed you wrote a personal message, but you could see for yourself that administrators like @claudiu can read private messages if they are not encrypted! :smiley:

Can you both tell me where/how those notifications were received, send a screenshot of them…?

Because, for example, login in with my other user (“test”, no administrator, no moderator; just a regular user) this is what I see right now:

And here it is the list of its notifications:

What I did notice, is that “Dismiss” seems not to work, but I have never tried it before and it may not be a new problem…

Hey Miguel, yes I will attach a screenshot which shows the notifications, you can see that they show any action taken by anyone on the site.

Whereas before I would only receive notifications when someone would tag, reply, like etc to my posts/threads specifically.

So before the notifications were only to do with things relevant to me and now it seems like they have trippled in volume and seem to be showing anything that anyone has done even if it is not relevant to me. Screenshot_20210908-095225

For example why am I receiving notifications to do with entries to Felix’s diary when I have never posted in there. I also seem to receive notifications about people sending private messages between each other etc except I can’t view the content.

I hope that makes sense and this is not in any way me knocking all the awesome work you’ve been doing on the site, it’s really great!

Yea something broke something… it is probably the Babble plug-in honestly :confused: . We can disable it to see if that’s the issue … although you & Srinath seem to like it

On the contrary, this is why feedback is needed: see that even I didn’t notice on my own screenshot that something was wrong with my “test” account!
:+1:

1 Like

Before desabling the Babble plugin to see if that’s the issue, having disabled Who’s Online plugin fixed your notifications now?

No it seems they are still the same, still showing things that are not relevant to me eg the top ones about Andrew’s activity Screenshot_20210908-123906

Possibly also the disabled plugin still messes it up, I recommend removing it entirely to see.

Same here

Possibly, because I read that uninstalling some plugins not only does not solve the problems they caused, but can damage the site even more (unfortunately, one of them is Babble).

So, I’ll disable Babble first.
If the problem persists, then I’ll remove Who’s Online.

awesome :sweat_smile:

well we have back-ups and can eventually restore if needed … … …

Yes, I was thinking about that…
Another thing: I think it would be better to move this private message thread to “Notifications” topic.

That’s fine with me :slight_smile: