Movies! (and TV shows)

I’m selfishly looking for more good movies to see, and I don’t have confidence in advertising or ‘recommended for you’ sections, so I’ll ask you all instead!

I’ll start:

Chungking Express

Most of what I remember about this movie was being very attracted to the female lead, but I enjoyed it a lot when I saw it

Synopsis:

The whiplash, double-pronged Chungking Express is one of the defining works of 1990s cinema and the film that made Wong Kar Wai an instant icon. Two heartsick Hong Kong cops (Takeshi Kaneshiro and Tony Leung Chiu Wai), both jilted by ex-lovers, cross paths at the Midnight Express take-out food stand, where the ethereal pixie waitress Faye (Faye Wong) works. Anything goes in Wong’s gloriously shot and utterly unexpected charmer, which cemented the sex appeal of its gorgeous stars and forever turned canned pineapple and the Mamas & the Papas’ “California Dreamin’” into tokens of romantic longing.

1 Like

If you can find a movie called “9 days” it’s really quite amazing in it’s art house way. Small budget, fantastic acting. Very moving theme.

1 Like

Underground by Emir Kusturica is one of my favorite movies (or used to be, at least - haven’t seen it in 20 years):

Trailer here

1 Like

Hey dudes, I’ve always been a massive fan of The Big Lebowski. I find it hard to see any malice and sorrow in The Dude. We barely know anything about him, even after the movie, so not much identity going on, doesn’t even like to be called by his name. And the way he responds to situations that most would deem stressful is interesting. Almost like Srinath was once narrating, that an actually free person can still be startled or act in ways that others would perceive as being affective.

Anyone else like this cult classic?

Oh and what about Office Space, which to me is a great example of how things start going well when you’re feeling good.

5 Likes

Didn’t see “Office Space”, but I’ve seen “The Big Lebowski” several times because I was a fan of the Coen brothers since their beginnings (I have seen “Miller’s Crossing” many times, for example).

1 Like

I loved it so much i logged onto the “Dudism” website years ago an became an official “dudist priest”. Apparently, i can officiate weddings in the US. :joy:

1 Like

Me too, dude!

1 Like

Haha, Dudism & Actualism. Are they the same thing?? !!! :astonished:

I want to watch Office Space one of these days. Saw some scenes come up on YouTube.

1 Like

You’ll love it, mate. And Jennifer Aniston in it, is to die for, if I may use the “old me’s” lingo :joy:

1 Like

Milito - Office Space and Big Lebowski are two of my favorite movies! You have great taste (or should it be said that you have the same taste as me :thinking: ? Funny how both say the same thing :grin:).

To add to the list, one of the purest, deepest extended laughing experiences in my entire life was “A Fish Called Wanda.” Struggled to catch my breath for the duration of the movie.

Repeated viewings didn’t induce the same response, however I will always remember the perfect joy I had when I first watched it.

2 Likes

My taste is based on the axiom “the mediocre is the exceptional” along the lines of Richard’s “in this moment the immediate is the ultimate and the relative is the absolute in all its exquisite purity”

1 Like

From an ultimate vantage, yes I agree. From the surgeon’s table, not so much. :grimacing:

1 Like

Maybe ordinary is extraordinary is more on the ball. But yeah haha mediocre surgeons lol

Oh and I still haven’t watched a fish called Wanda MUST SEE IT. Hopefully this weekend. Thanks for the reminder!

Cheers

I love the Dude but I still see a feeling being. He definitely worries and gets annoyed. I love what he’s about and that he’s just bumbling through life seemingly carefree. I think what people like most about him is that he’s unashamedly comfortable being himself.

The main character from office space strikes me as somewhere between comfortably numb and having fun. But eventually the real world catches up to him and he changes his tune a bit.

Has anyone seen Zola? It’s a little dark but very funny and exciting.

1 Like

Yep, that’s the bit. He is concerned about a rug, has nothing huge he is trying to achieve, and still get by.

1 Like

@milito.paz: I watched “Office space”. Yes: feeling good changed his live indeed (although it’s interesting that this feeling was obtained more and more from good feelings, which generateed more and more problems for him, until the bad feelings counterpart appeared again).

I found it funny, but the scene with the printer generated an unexpected series of laughs, evidently because of a similar personal and emotional connection to my long history with those damned devices :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

And this guy and this quote are GOLD:
:grin:

2 Likes