Frank's Journal

This is really helpful @Andrew , I hope this serves as a reminder for all of us :slight_smile:

I have been spending a lot of time reading Richard’s and other peoples material on pce and thinking almost all the time about AF stuff and trying to eaatmoba as much as I can ( remember)
And I have been able to walk to the park near our home, and sit on a chair for
2-3 hours in the mornings. and – I say silently to myself: " enjoying and appreciating this moment", then I am able to activate delight, and “then I am amazed at the fun of it all”, then I think: " what a privilege/miracle that I can sense this universe with these senses as intended by the universe to experience itself – and mostly eaatmoba, and it has produced a lot of enjoyment.

During these times I stare intently at one field of view, and I have very vivid and colorful, ( kind of magical and “unreal”=unlike normal looking) view of the pond, the water’s reflections of the light and glistening of the rocks at the bottom of the very shallow, crystal clear water, and the greenery and flowers around there etc. etc. These type of seeing lasts for a long duration of time and feel like EE to me, I don’t know for sure !? . It is surprising to me, that before I could not have sat there even for 30 minutes in the same spot without getting bored and tired, and now I can do it for 3 hours and not even feel tired or uneasy at all, and find it very enjoyable and delightful.

And I feel like I have been close to having a pce, and have read and re read,
pce writings of Richard, geoffrey and @Srinath … I “re-activate delight” whenever that wonderful type of seeing starts to get back to “normal”. I am not sure if there is anything else that I can do to allow the pce to happen ? any help would be appreciated. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

After a certain point, when you’re on the cusp of it, it’s essentially only about “allowing it to happen”. ‘You’ have to make a choice, deep down, to let it occur. It can and does happen in an instant and sometimes quite unexpectedly!

What might help is reflecting on the “things are happening on their own anyway” aspect of experience. This may help ‘you’ see that it’s safe to let it happen.

1 Like

You may have some subtle objections keeping you from releasing completely when you’re right on the edge, such as:

“Why is this taking so long?”

“Others can have PCEs, why can’t I?”

“It might be scary to have a PCE - what if I lose my mind/life/job/wife?”

“this is getting a little weird/intense…”

If so, it could help to lay those objections to rest so you can quickly dismiss them the next time, and continue allowing the sensuous enjoyment to increase.

Here is how I have settled some of those objections for myself:

“Why is this taking so long?”

-It will take however long it must take, it doesn’t follow ‘my’ rules and if it must take longer, then I will keep trying.

“Others can have PCEs, why can’t I?”

-Everyone is different but there is nothing ‘different’ about me that means that I definitely can’t have them. I will keep trying.

“It might be scary to have a PCE - what if I lose my mind/life/job/wife?”

-Then it is worth the risk, to experience the best the universe has to offer. Anyway, it seems that the others who have had PCEs are better for the experience, and all the free people seem to be doing well.

“this is getting a little weird/intense…”

-Even if it is weird or intense, this is worth it to me to try it, if only for a few minutes

Another thing that could be happen is, a kind of exulting or experience of beauty interrupting right as you’re getting close.

This aspect is a little more subtle because it is so normal to exult or experience beauty during moments of great sensuous enjoyment. However, it has its signs and it is useful to recognize them and gently steer back to sensuous enjoyment of what is happening whenever this begins to arise. Examples of such signs include thoughts like “wow, this is so awesome!” “I can’t wait to tell someone about this!” Thoughts themselves are no problem, but this veering into beauty can be a missed opportunity.

Additionally, I recommend the excellent page on the PCE from simpleactualism.com

Happy hunting!!

1 Like

I seem to reach a limit of the sensuous enjoyment, ( and enjoyment is difficult to separate from sense of exulting, i thinks ) What is the synonym of exult?
Synonyms & Near Synonyms for exult (in) delight, glory (in), joy, rejoice (in)

The other thing that i have done, as per instruction on Richard’s pce page, i tried going in “stages”

1. activate delight and let it built and built
  2. “be amazed at the fun of it all” … and at this stage try to “let go” and relax and allow for pce to happen[ which sometimes brings back very brief (1 seconds ) emotional memory of perfect contentment and ease that i had in past vacations ] …
  3. and try to feel naivete ( in the lower belly area - which sometimes causes some sensual arousal ( without any imagery)
  4. Increase delight and contemplate reflectively, as how it is so wonderful and such a privilege for being able to experience this. And allow for pce to happen and wait …

Maybe I am doing “too much” !

================================

Would watching jungle with nature’s sounds, when I am home be additional, source of
sensuous enjoyment to allow for pce to happen?
a video like this : 4K HDR Enchanted Forest - Blackbird Singing - Springtime Bird Song - Relaxing Nature Video & Sounds - YouTube

Just based on your above report it seems like you’re pretty close, so I don’t think you need to change a lot about your approach, just keep activating that delight and enjoying sensorially as you have been, max it out more and more each time and ‘allow’ something strange to happen.

One of the biggest aspects of success will be pure persistence!

Well, are you enjoying & appreciating it?? :wink:

There are no rules! Just do whatever you like :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is very interesting and helpful, Cluadiu :slight_smile:

This is great henryyyyyy, thanks!
“what is happening”, is what I am looking at, hearing, sensing,etc. , Right ?

I have a question about my PCE practice:

As Richard has said: " to look intently" , I look intently at a wide field of view, without blinking for minutes on, and with that intent gaze, my peripheral focus is slightly blurred, and the peripheral vision also gets brighter and “mashes together” a little bit; but I become much more able to notice the slightest movement in all of my field of vision, such as leaves blowing or movement of shadows, or even a bee flying around, etc. ( which is very unusual and extraordinary for me ). All of this being very fun and delightful.
So I am asking is this doing it right or the staring at a wide visual field and not blinking for 10+ minutes and having very slightly blurriness of peripheral visual field, etc. am I doing anything wrong here in these PCE practice sessions?

Thanks everyone!

I’d like to re-emphasize @claudiu and @Kub933 's astute observations in the other thread to not get too caught on ‘focusing on the senses’ as actualism practice, I think what Kuba said about paying primary attention to your emotional/vibe state and then making the attention to senses something you do once you’ve confirmed that the enjoyment/fun/delight/sincerity are flowing

I’d look at simple actualism’s page for step-by-step directions & hints on how to have a PCE.

Additionally I’ve found it useful to read or re-read some of the descriptions of PCEs from the AFT

That’s what it becomes when you enter PCE, but I think it’s useful to let it be a little more open when you start easing into it, like if you are having a bit of emotional discomfort that is in fact ‘happening now’ so there’s no need to ‘deny’ that it’s happening.

That’s where sincerity is useful, as in ‘sincerely recognizing everything that is happening right now.’

It sounds a bit intense, but if as you say you’re having a fun & delightful time that’s the most important ingredient! It’s ok to blink, I’d think not blinking for that long would dry your eyes out!

When delightful & sensuous attention is given to anything, it can be delightful.

Also feel free to walk around if you’d like! There’s a childlike freedom involved with PCEs, which too many ‘rules’ will dispel.

From simpleactualism: “You want to make yourself a bit like a child, soft and relaxed.”

" Do it in a really loose playful way. Whatever catches your interest go for that. "

The main ingredients are sincerity & fun! If it’s fun & interesting to not blink, do that! If it’s fun & interesting to close your eyes for a bit and see what that’s like, do that! Anything can be fun & interesting :slight_smile:

Very interesting to read @FrankN and welcome to the group. I too came to the website via a search about Douglas Harding :slight_smile: I was doing the “Headless Way” for a couple of months before I came across the AFT website.

Ultimately I think Headlessness is dissociative but I really like Douglas Harding’s temperament and humour.

I think “Douglas Harding” is one of the few searches which leads to finding the AFT website. It is not an easy website to discover these days.

This is amazing @leila :smiley:. How did you go about translating? I imagine with the quantity of text you’d have to use a translator app as well?

2 Likes

Thank you @Felix . Wish there was a " translator app " for Farsi language , But The brain and the fingers are amazingly doing the job and I am like " how did this body do that ! :grinning:

3 Likes

I re read stuff on this link on daily basis:

2 Likes

another link I re read a lot

Hello everyone.
I wanted to share an experience that I had this morning, after couple of hours of struggling with various feeling and trying to EAATMOBA and HAIETMOBA , when I tried to
get up and come out of bed, as I was HAIETMOBA-ing, I felt my body as having real weight
and was able to feel my body proprioceptively in relations to space around me, I could really feel my body having a separate existence as opposed to “me” . I had never experienced anything like this before. This experience gave me a sense of my existence
as this body, separate from “me” as a person, which was very comforting and reassuring as
a practicing actualist. I felt like ( for a few minutes, and am trying to rememorate that feeling now) that I did not have to fight the world, that everything was ok and I had a deep feeling of ease and contentment.
My existence as this body felt very good. I feel like I have lived my whole life as “me” only, instead of
as this body.
I had been avoiding HAIETMOBA before and was trying to do EAATMOBA only, but now I am becoming aware that HAIETMOBA has it’s proper place and application.

BTW, I have continued to do my several hours a day of EAATMOBA in the park near our house
and that has been both enjoyable and I feel like I am making progress there as well.

Thank you all for allowing this space :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re headed the right direction! Wonderful :raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

thank you henryyyyyy that is wonderful of you to respond.

Really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, nice work @FrankN. Remember how important getting your mood (or level of fun/delight) up is in order to help it happen. Sensuosity can help in concert with feeling good.

Also, you refer to HAIETMOBA and EAETMOBA almost like protocols/slogans. I’d maybe do away with the acronym and make sure you are really asking the question: how am I experiencing this moment of being alive?

Ask the question genuinely - the point here is to sincerely look at those issues and feelings which are pulling down on your enjoyment. Once you ascertain what you are feeling and why, it’s easier to decide to “switch channels” to enjoy and appreciate instead. If you can’t - then there is perhaps a belief there which you are holding on to.

2 Likes

That is fantastic advise Felix.

I feel like I am moving in the direction that you are suggesting, but as you well know,
it sometimes takes time :sweat_smile:

I am working ( and needed your reminder as well, thanks Felix ) on sincerity / naivete / clarity .

:appreciation:

1 Like