Felix's Diary

Totally agree! I have thought about this lately myself a bit too. Richard’s experience as someone who discovered this organically, and ours as “followers” who happened to find the website, is very different - in fact every person who encounters actualism is different in terms of the starting point.

However, the human condition is not different. So the interest in actualism, if it leads to genuine exploration of oneself, will then reveal the same fundamental problem at the core of human experience. And hopefully with a PCE demonstrate there is an alternative.

Ultimately the test is of being happy and harmless - that’s what has hooked me from the start. Richard claims and demonstrates that it’s possible to become happy and harmless, and to even live the perfection of the PCE, and then challenges us to do discover the same possibility. For someone like me that challenge was just irresistible. What’s the alternative? To not be happy and harmless? To suffer?

He got me :smile:

4 Likes

I’m quiet new to this forum. I stumbled over it just a few months ago and signed in. I’m practicing actualism since around 2017/18 and before that I was into spirituality.
Nice to “meet” you Felix :slight_smile:

I can see me doing this from time to time. It sometimes feels like a someone is pushing, while the other one is standing on the breaks. It can still get confusing at times.

I inquired about resentment of being born, of being alive a few times in the past, but you brought up something quiet interesting: It’s so obvious, but still…the resentment of being “here”.
I don’t resent being alive, nor do I resent being born, but I sometimes resent being “here”. To still “have to do” this actualism-stuff, whereas I could be gone for good. So what I actually want is to be “there” = actually free. Which is…

Super helpful to point that out Felix. I’m most certainly “guilty” of doing this. I will look into this.

I agree. The most prominent points will pop up along the way for everybody I think.
Then there are individual cases which are very interesting to me. Sometimes I read things on this forum where I wonder what the problem is: “But, but that one is easy. I figured that one out within minutes a long time ago!” But a few minutes later I’m like: “How did he/she manage to overcome that issue so easily while I’m still struggling with it?” That’s what I really like about this forum.

4 Likes

Last night I had an experience of starting to go into a peak experience directly from my ordinary state.

This is one of the few times this has ever happened.

I’ve found that even though lately I’m feeling good more often, I’ve had a lot of trouble with my nervous system. It’s like I’m always getting these little jolts of panic and such - and still having the urge to distract myself a lot.

But last night was different, I was feeling restless in bed and so I sat up and turned the lights on. I just sat there, still, refusing to move (psychologically speaking) and things started to change a lot. It’s like I went into that fear and it dissipated. I started to lose my feeling of personhood, and it became so much easier to be here. It was 2am so I had to go back to sleep but it was a revelation.

It showed me that there is no one here in this body. I am wondering if a lot of my day to day stress and fear is related to protecting myself from this fact. It’s like either I maintain this slight anxiety all the time, or I won’t be here. I think subconsciously I’ve been maintaining myself out of a fear reaction to the PCE.

There was an utter safety and relaxation that came about - showing me clearly just how unsafe I feel in the real world. Somehow the barrier between the two “worlds” just seems a lot less concrete - and going into abeyance looks a lot less impossible (which is the way I usually see it, as something that only happens under exceptional circumstances and with a lot of luck). The barrier to the actual world is only me - there is no “magic” barrier otherwise preventing me.

Based on this experience I can see there is a way to stop maintaining myself now, which has been hidden up until now.

6 Likes

"It’s like either I maintain this slight anxiety all the time, or I won’t be here. "

Totally relate to this one haha…It’s actually so opposite - the actual world is the safe place, but since “I” have been forever living in the real world, it feels safer just because of it’s familiarity

Thanks for sharing this Felix. I experienced something similar ( there is no one here in this body )
for a few moments a couple of months ago, and it felt wonderful and wonderful lol . But I had forgotten
about it until you mentioned it here. So I can rememorate this experience and relate to conclusions that
you have come up with. This was fantastic! :appreciation: And it make applying the method much more
meaningful and inviting for me.

In the resentment thread the other day, I talked about the importance of biting into this moment - in terms of an intention to actively enjoy. I’ve thought, talked and believed a lot about “active enjoyment”, including on this forum where I have advocated for others to attempt the same. Me and my theories :sweat_smile:.

I’ve started to seriously question these notions, as they just haven’t been bringing stable enough results. I manage to be relatively okay mood-wise generally (way better than one year ago for sure), and yet there is an underlying-dissatisfied-feeling-based self-questioning all the time: what am I not doing right, what do I have to do, why isn’t this working better, what piece is missing in terms of progress, am I sincere enough? am I naive enough? Why isn’t this working? etc etc etc. It brings to mind a desperate rat in a maze - hardly the picture of relaxation and ease.

So I’m starting to reflect, particularly looking at ways in which I might actually be putting a spoke between my own wheels with my conceptualisation and application of (…my conceptualisation of…) the method. Is my way of following the method actually keeping myself in the picture all the time, and in a non-felicitous way? Giving rise to the ambitious yet somewhat anxious actualist, who has a plan to execute an imagined ideal of feeling good each moment again, hoping so hard to control and achieve that, whilst never quite managing it?

I’ve been paying much more attention to how I currently feel exactly as it is (whether bored, irritated etc) instead of where I hope to arrive at (whether feeling good, happy, harmless etc); so current-time focused rather than chasing something beyond me. Often when I tune in to how I feel, I notice that in the previous moment I’ve been distracting myself or pushing the feelings away, rather than doing anything to adjust my experience. This is making me realise, there has been a lot of “fake it till I make it” in my process. I’ve been reluctant at times to acknowledge feelings and moods as they currently are, without immediately pushing ahead to try and feel good instead (often with not much success). I write positive posts here when feeling good, hoping that I’ve found “the secret”, but generally it does not last.

Since questioning my previous approach, and becoming more earnest in terms of how I feel in any given moment, I’ve been finding a new type of awareness taking place at times. It’s more open and less controlled compared to what I was doing before, yet the results are far better.

Things start to change from a feeling-based experience, to instead becoming about this exact moment of being alive, in a very HAIETMOBA way. I’ve asked HAEITMOBA for a long time now; but only in this way is it proving to be noticeably effective. The result is that the feelings drop or fade away, and I start to come to my senses in a way that’s effortlessly pleasurable (in contrast to previous failed attempts at sensuosity, which were neither effortless nor pleasurable). It’s like being on a different channel - yes there is felicity but it is more like a “third type of feeling”, as @geoffrey previously referenced, rather than regular feeling good. It’s hard to describe but there’s less sense of my felt presence than in regular feeling good.

Right now I can feel the sun on my skin, the wind blowing on my face and in my hair, and my fingers tapping the keyboard as I write. Cars are going past, leaves are rustling - in the distance there is the sound of plates being clattered in a local cafe. It’s fresh, and instantaneously continuous - and the burden of how I was feeling earlier is out of the way. It’s like the beginning of letting the moment live me, or the beginning of becoming the senses - there is a naïveté associated which seems more like a state of experience than a feeling per se. I’m not doing anything extra to elicit the ongoing sensuous pleasure. I notice my ability to express myself and formulate cogent sentences is much better, which was a noticeable feature of a previous peak experience.

It’s all so enjoyable to be here, even though I’m not “trying” to enjoy at all. The pleasure component arises of its own accord, expressing itself in each moment of sensuous experience. It’s unprovoked by any strategy, concerted effort or cognitive intervention on my part, either. There is a peripheral aspect to it, which does not endorse a strong sense of my own importance in the experience, despite the fact it’s out of the norm.

This is really changing my perspective or map of things - contrary to what I have believed in the past, there is no need to ‘prop up’ or feed this “feeling good” as a feeling state - how I have been tiring myself out trying to do that….This is a passive enjoyment if anything, extremely passive in fact - arrived at by deactivation of my typical feeling states. It’s anhedonic. Happening to me, but not from me or because of me.

I feel a light, unprovoked felicity within myself - an ease of being in this moment and the pleasant relaxation that it brings. This feels more like it…

3 Likes

This is how the post had to be in content and form?

Yes, thank you! By the way, not demanding this as a feature, but would it make sense to add a brief line of quoting when replying?

For example it took me ages to see you were replying to the earlier post and not my latest post. Just an idea

Yes, it would, but Discourse included the feature of being able to click on this arrow-icon to display the post that has been replied to:

Also, it is the way to know that a post has been replied within a thread (using the Replay button of the post vs. the blue Replay button of the topic, at the bottom of the page).
But let’s try it and tell me if it serves the purpose you were looking for.

1 Like

Ok cool. Yeah I think the main problem is that people probably assume the reply is to the previous post - not questioning that it could be a reply to any post in the same thread. I reckon a one line lead-in quote would be cool if you want to try that.

As a matter of fact, it is a problem of the so called flat thread vs. hierarchical thread forums.
You can read the reasons why Discourse adopted the former in Understanding and Using Discourse's Flat Threading - Meta - Rubin Observatory LSST Community forum.

So yes: I suppose at least one line quote would make those kind of replies easier to read.

Hey Felix, thanks again for sharing your ongoing experiences with Actualism Application.
I can relate so well with so many of your statements, and this gives me a very reassuring
feeling about the process itself, and more importantly, it shows me the way forward and is
highly highly motivational for me. And, Felix, by writing so well and in such detail and honest way,
you are being the student and the coach at the same time not only for yourself but for the
others as well. Your efforts are much appreciated :appreciation:

So to recap on what your wrote:
1.) You acknowledge how you feel at the moment ( from moment to moment )
and this thins out the feeling state ( i.e. “me” )
which then leads to a felicitous 3rd kind of way feeling good
which can be enjoyed and appreciated on an ongoing basis !
Maybe you found the Wide and Wonderous Road :smile:

p.s. Can geoffrey or Srinath comment on this approach please!

I don’t know whether the process can be defined that sequentially - also I didn’t have a PCE that’s just what I experienced on that day and I wrote about. It’s just a diary after all :slight_smile:

For example today, I felt good all day, and it was relatively easy and not esoteric at all. So maybe yesterday it was more naïveté I was expressing.

1 Like

Chatting to Geoffrey last night chilled me out a lot and so I didn’t spend any of the day thinking or worrying about actualism, the process etc. Life has been more fun and less serious today, without that monkey on my back today.

That shows me that a lot of my feelings and worries are about actualism itself, “my progress”, constantly questioning the technique etc. I’m starting to see how serious I’ve been about it at all - I feel like its safe to start letting go of that now :monkey:

1 Like

I’ve just deleted a whole section of my reply to @pelagash that went on and on about my life story and childhood. I think in a way it’s a good sign that I’m willing to be frank and open on here about that stuff (not afraid to be considered an unsuccessful actualist, less neurotic about the idea of sharing personal details). It mirrors what’s happening internally where I’m willing to acknowledge my feelings in a totally open way. But still, it’s like another way to maintain myself - now I’m clinging to my autobiography :sweat_smile:.

3 Likes

The nice thing abt doing stuff like that is you get to find out that it doesn’t matter too much one way or the other :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey @henryyyyyyyyyy - are you referring to being with a guy vs a girl?

Oh no, I’m referring to posting your autobiography… I suppose it would apply to that too though!

1 Like

This afternoon I went for a walk with my Mum and we ended up at a spot where I had a PCE a few months ago. It was an amazing day in my city - exhibiting the warm sun, cool breeze and blue skies typical of a beautiful winter’s day in Australia. We walked to this this is grassy knoll nestled in a suburban landscape - it’s a kind of picnic spot. This was a day visit but it was nighttime here when I had the PCE, and I was walking whereas today we sat on a park bench.

I was feeling a sincere and easy appreciation at this favourite spot of mine, and there was no sense of having to do anything - the sensuous enjoyment of this moment was so purely validating of existence. Once again I started to let this moment live me and I felt much more ‘beer’ than doer. The interaction with Mum was easy and delightful; like what one would expect if we were both in heaven together. If there was a trace of malice and sorrow on her part, that was not transmitting to me - in fact she had such a girly, cheerful quality. She looked young and fresh and so “there” in front of me, on the edge of being actual. The trees have been blooming with the most vibrant pink colour, like cherry blossom. It was delightful to behold them, and witness their flowers fall and be playfully carried hither and thither by the wind. The sun was seeping into my skin all the while, and I was barely in the way of this naive enjoyment all. Who could not endorse being alive when it is of such a pristine and excellent quality?

I’m fairly certain I was experiencing pure intent. Not only did the suburban semi-natural environment radiate perfection and purity, I was similarly immaculate and unselfconsciously worthy of my place in the scene. Experiencing that delicious enjoyment and utter peace, I could intuit the actual potentiality of my own self-immolation: that it is safe, that it is possible, that it is desirable and that it’s inevitable. At the time it seemed almost imminent, in fact.

5 Likes

Can’t believe how much fun I’ve started to have lately. Meeting Geoffrey has really showed me how many rules and impositions I’ve had on myself about this process. Basically a lot of seriousness (even though I had indeed read that it’s “not about seriousness”). It’s something Craig had mentioned as well - and said I should start listening to some funky music to get an idea :slight_smile: It’s all something Richard had mentioned had well. I guess I’m a slow learner :slight_smile:

Fun and delight etc have just been words I’ve skipped over. Was so much more focused on the serious ones that made it seem like what I was attempting to do was “life or death”.

I reckon this aspect, at least for my personality and habits, has made the biggest impact to date!

I’m actually enjoying my life - all these hobbies and interests have come back as well. I’m back into music and singing, back into listening to long vids of UG krishnamurti and other peeps, back into exploring esoteric topics.

It’s almost like I have been in a depressive state - locking myself into an “absolutist”/extremist/dogmatic interpretation of actualism - trying to fit the form of what I thought actualism should be and forcing myself to fit that mould. It’s almost been like a spiritual approach to actualism.

I’m out of the funk and listening to funk :joy:

5 Likes