Andrew

Thanks Vineeto!

Very new to me.

I like this quote from Claudiu. It’s been the ongoing investigation into music. That I am not special. I may have perhaps a talent, but that is far from unique. There is an old saying, there is nothing more common than the talented but unsuccessful. Which is the key for me to continue looking into this.

It has been a hugely dominant force in my life, and in my father’s life.

Understanding it, gently teases something out of me. How I hold on to this “special “ talent. When, is it really there? Perhaps I do have an ear for music, and so? How is that anything different from someone born with the genetics to grow to 7 feet tall? It’s not anything that ‘I’ had anything to do with at all!

I have been thinking a lot about music. How so much of it , if not the vast majority of it, is derived and contrived. Not in a negative sense, in the literal sense. It’s not unique, factually. For the most part.

The obsession I have had recently is about the snare drum on the “back beat”. For a few months, if not subconsciously for much longer, this western tradition has been “grinding my gears”! Why! What is it that drives all the vast majority to have this exact pattern!

I don’t have an answer. It’s more the curiosity of it. I don’t need an answer so much, as I enjoy asking the questions!

I never questioned anything like this. It was all about being an ‘artist’, whatever that was! Which I never actually was in anyway, but the fantasy was always there. As if I just had to take it seriously for a moment, and “poof!” Instant acclaim!

hehe. It’s fun to give myself the space to smile at it all. Without animosity. It’s all preference really! Some people are very found of a particular kind of music, for a certain time, and then another kind! Just as my tastes have changed.

1 Like