An Actualism Wiki

Thanks Miguel! Looks good on my iPhone

Quick thought, I don’t know if it’s easily possible, but what you think if the wiki discussion pages link to the forum here / to make forum posts here?

The wiki discussion pages are sort of hard to see now, no alerting, no real message board functionality (me & Srinath have been emulating it).

Downside i can see is that it clutters this forum. Can make another category again, like “Wiki Talk Pages”, but it might be weird . . . . .

2 Likes

I am all for it, the more interplay between discussion and the wiki the better.

I was enjoying the wiki here for that reason.

I will still need to buy a device that supports editing the new wiki. Or get all tech savvy and use chrome on android.

Probably should do that.

Oh, I remember that I turned chrome off because it had some ad pop up I couldn’t get rid of.

I’ve never interacted with or viewed a wiki discussion page in my internet life! And I’ve interacted with and viewed the most varied discussion formats… So if the link/redirection can be done, I think it would be for the better.

As for cluttering, it seems to me that the wiki would be one of the natural ways to attract people to the forum, which is the best thing that can happen to them if they want to evacuate doubts, interact with other practitioners, etc.

2 Likes

@miguel yes agreed and I’d also echo Claudiu’s thoughts re: the drawbacks of current wiki discussion, but also the problem with having a discussion here. If you whizzes can find a plugin that allows us to be notified of changes to entries and talk discussions that we are monitoring then that would be ideal I think.

I’ll see if there is an extension/plugin that enrich the discussion pages that way, but what problem do you and @claudiu think it would cause to have the discussions here instead of there?

I think it would be a bit messy. Also its convenient to have the talk pages alongside the wiki pages. I’d prefer to have a separation. But look if it’s hard to do or not doable, then we can try talking about the wiki here instead.

2 Likes

I think notifications are already built into media wiki somehow. Just have to figure out how to set it up …

Hi @henryyyyyyyyyy I haven’t done anything for the Wiki yet so I can’t take any credit for the good work, like you I pass my thanks to the others too, good job peeps. But if I am needed for something, always here to help lol.

1 Like

OK

So far I have mostrly found extensions intended to notify users of new messages, etc.; not the host. But may be there is something useful that I have missed here:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Notification_extensions

On the other hand, the operation of discussions themselves seem to be improvable with one of these (depending on the deficiencies that @srinath and @claudiu have found testing them):

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Discussion_and_forum_extensions

@Srinath i just set up emailing on the wiki - if you go to your preferences page you can confirm your email, and then you will start to get emails when a page you are watching is updated!