An Actualism Wiki

One can build a set of rules which, like the actualism method itself, outline specific outcomes.

I’ve been following the rules I just reposted in this forums wiki “Playful Rules for Religious Believers” for around a month.

Following rules is just another way of saying here is some advice, try it out.

If one wants to break them, so be it. The idea is “5 step guides” do indeed get one started. Once started, and small successes accumulate, one’s capacity to be “response- able” increases.

One’s ability to respond to challenges is correlated directly with what one has previously trained oneself to master.

I see what you mean and I agree to an extent about the rules giving some initial groundwork but I would still avoid calling them rules. The problem is that the mind-set which looks for rules to follow does not operate from a place of naïveté, it is actually in the opposite direction of what is required. Richard writes about this a lot in his journal. The rule-following mindset is one best suited for religion/spirituality, morality etc and one needs naivete to undo all the conditioning not pick up more conditioning in the form of actualist rules. I especially like the word ingenuous here, because this is exactly what I have to be to find a way through the conditioning and a mind that relies on rules will not have this feature.

4 Likes

Well, I speculate, but can’t prove, that a playful set of rules would have appealed to my “rule following mindset”.

I inexorably created rules out of what I read. That is who I was.

It’s morbidly optimistic to expect the more than 2 billion “rule following mindsets” to somehow transform into selves which don’t follow rules simply to get started with actualism.

I obviously can’t A/B test this without a time machine in my own case.

It’s worth a shot anyway.

It’s like any other pursuit really. One is firstly completely incompetent. One learns some basic instructions, which a good teacher will tailor to the student. After a basic level of skill is achieved, that set of rules is now a habit.

Habituation is the road to the actualism method itself. Asking the question is all about creating and unspoken habit. An approach to life.

I wonder, out of the 2500 hits (from memory) the AFT has daily, how many would have stuck around with a simple “5 easy steps” guide? Rather than a multi-million word extemporaneously written wall of text?

images

2.3 billion Christians. 1.8 billion Muslims. Following rules.

First rule of sales; Sell what the customer already wants, and always be closing the sale.

This is exactly what Richard was doing with me when I visited.

I was talking about being conditioned to “save the world”. He immediately said “You can save the world” :rofl:

Nice! I’ve made a couple of additions and changes.

3 Likes

I’ve added a link to the wiki in our actualism.online main page.

@claudiu: at first it failed because I had used https; then noticed it is http. Can you change it to make it secure? Then I’ll change the link to https again.

@claudiu Is there any way we can get rid of the ‘Main Page’ and just have it say something like ‘Actualism Wiki’ with a couple of introductory lines underneath? Found that I couldn’t edit that bit

@claudiu it is funny, I have been recently having to learn React for my work. I was trying to consider useful project ideas to help with learning and I was thinking of a wiki (not for actualism) just in a general sense and I came across Matterwiki. Their readme page on Github then referenced other wiki’s and that led me to MediaWiki which I didn’t realise was part of Wikipedia etc until just a few weeks ago lol.

There is some crossover in skills with JS, HTML etc. Unfortunately, I am not as clued up on PHP a good reason to learn though in case any type of extension is needed.

Literally like 4 weeks ago I wouldn’t have known what MediaWiki is lol.

Done

Done, had to do a special thing to change what the main page is

1 Like

I love it when you talk all technical like , :rofl:

I’ve started to put some stuff into it too.

I think stylistically we should adopt a style of talking to the person reading it… this way it’s less of a dry encyclopaedia stating facts, and more of an invitation to the reader, that this is something actual we’re talking about, and experiential, and they should just find out for themselves!

Example: Feeling being - Actualism Wiki

2 Likes

Completely agree, I see that being the super-power of the format. The possibility of having different voices speaking and relating to people.

As it grows, the answer to the question “where is the entry point?” will organically answer itself.

Oh oh oh, I feel honoured that I bit of my writing made it. ,:rofl:

Yes, agreed. I was also thinking somewhat the same in style re: striking the balance between being evocative and informative

Nice additions!

@claudiu

I enjoyed reading your wiki entries.

Perhaps a link from the “resources” pinned post will help navigation to it?

I find on my phone that I come back to this thread and follow the links here.

I deleted wiki category – plz update the wiki now with any wiki things! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I changed the default wiki skin to Timeless, which is responsive to all screen widths.

Now the wiki should look much better on cellphones. Please confirm (especially @Srinath, who had noticed that the font was too small).

Just checked on my phone and it’s looking good :call_me_hand:

Looking great, @claudiu @Miguel @son_of_bob @Srinath

1 Like