News, the Human Condition

Wow… I’ve told myself in the past “well if life really sucks I can always kill myself”, but not as a way of actually considering suicide, but rather since it was already a given for me that I’d never kill myself, as an obvious redirector to getting back to feeling good / doing something about the misery instead of just being miserable. But I guess this guy took it seriously!

Heisman wrote, “Every word, every thought and every emotion come back to one core problem: life is meaningless… The experiment in nihilism is to seek out and expose every illusion and every myth, wherever it may lead, no matter what, even if it kills us.”

Unfortunately he did not expose that central illusion/myth itself, namely that life is meaningless…

He wasn’t entirely wrong though in that no emotion, emotion-backed-word or emotion-backed-thought is an experience of the meaning of life… but he was obviously wrong in that it doesn’t stop there.

I’ve found that philosophy verifies whatever vibe is already happening, so what we have here is a depressed-anxious person using philosophy to verify the depression-anxiety. He followed it to its natural conclusion, but the entire understanding existed within the logic of depression-anxiety.

It’s the big reason why it’s useful/important to undergo investigations from the position of feeling good

3 Likes

I’m gonna use this as an example from now on

2 Likes

Yeah if there ever was a warning against investigating whilst feeling bad it’s that you end up dead :sweat_smile::grimacing:

This is exactly what my (non-fiction, “philosophical”) youthful writings created in the midst of deep depression reflect. I strongly identify with that man because even several of his sources were my sources to support, at that time, nihilistic and existentialist conclusions similar to his…

Indeed.

2 Likes

That is interesting, I never quite articulated such a thought but it so obvious now for those I have known who have done this. In the virtual Miguel in my head, I find it hard to imagine you as such, I see you as a reasonable voice and mellow person. Funny the perceptions we have just from reading words.

It is the same as my friend who introduced me to AF and who has died from alcohol abuse now. He too didn’t want to let go of his depressed-anxious-anti-natalist-anti-suffering-philosophy.

2 Likes

Reading this article about a climber that died some years back in Juneau, came across this quote:

After Leclerc made his ascent of the Emperor Face, he wrote:

It was now my fourth day alone in the mountains and my thoughts had reached a depth and clarity that I had never before experienced. The magic was real. … Through time spent in the mountains, away from the crowds, away from the stopwatch and the grades and all the lists of records I’ve been slowly able to pick apart what is important to me and discard things that are not.

The last time I saw him, I asked Leclerc what those things were. “It’s important to appreciate the place you’re in,” he said, “and to have a memorable experience, something that sticks with you for a long time. When I’m old, I want to have all these adventures in my memory.”

Definite PCE candidate

I can recommend the documentary “the alpinist” about him.

Just wow… if one wanted to summarise the madness of the human condition it’s all in here.

Although the whole 49 people sentenced to death seems click bait as later on it mentions they are likely to serve life sentences.