Leila's translation translated back into English by GoogleTranslate

I was looking at a tree trunk today…
the bark of the tree was shaking…
I went closer ,it was actually shaking
But when I looked at the other trees, there was no such a thing…
Only this one was shaking , a special part of it though…
maybe it was just a light reflection?.. but it was shaking my [soul] :sweat_smile:

i went to see that tree today before the sun comes out ,to see what i saw 2 says ago was the reflection of light or something else ?!
no it was not the reflection ,because there was no sun yet, it looked more like a heat energy wave coming out of this tree trunk …i remember when i first saw this , i thought there is something happening in my conscioussness, i was so excited , because i had read shomething srinath had written about a ‘shudder’ in the visual field , in his report of becoming actually free …and this one was shudder too …but not that particular shudder i guess … :smiley:
i am so obsessed with becoming actually free that i cant wait …

i saw another tree ( this one is pine tree) with the same heat ? energy wave ? around its trunk …

This is another interesting topic that made me think about the complexities in translation, sometimes I use a turn of phrase that is from London cockney, London urban slang or from northern slang (one parent Londoner, one parent Northener, they used to pronounce English words differently too! Talk about confusing for a kid!) Not sure if they will translate directly lol.

Other times the phrase is an expression or idiom, where the individual translation of the words don’t make sense, such as “you had me stitches.”

So many ways to be misunderstood or to miscommunicate!

Regarding the ellipsis, in my education and what my parents taught me is equivalent to the French style @geoffrey mentioned, I think it must be the American’s who add the space. Here in the UK always done similar to the French style without the space.

How so many of you communicate so extensively with such subtleties in what is not your native language is insanely impressive.

1 Like

Just in case somebody doesn’t know “you had me stitches.” means you made somebody laugh nothing to do with allowing you to perform surgery on them.

What do you do if the target language you are translating to doesn’t have an equivalent idiom? :man_shrugging:

At least in my experience, most languages (with the caveat that I only speak western or western-adjacent languages) tend to have “equivalent” idioms pertaining to the same thing, even though the wording may be different.

This is interesting, thanks for that. So, there is more chance of inequivalent translations going from English to Farsi than English to French then.

Funnily enough, last night I am reading a book to my youngest two for bed time and the book is English and published in UK and had an ellipsis with the space. :rofl:

So, I checked a grammar site that is UK based and an old grammar book I have in my house. So, at the beginning and end of sentence is without space and in the middle is with space. Then square quotes added to differentiate from a quote rather than indicating a pause or other dramatic effect such as hesitation, confusion or disbelief.

1 Like