I dropped my phone and fear ran through me for a couple of seconds

What would be your approach, as an actualist, to such incidents?

I’d approach it with no great concern and get back to enjoying this moment of being live. How might you approach it Kiman?

1 Like

I’d also try to limit such reactions from occurring by not giving much importance to things. But I guess it is not possible to stop it completely before becoming free, because it’s highly inefficient to be as careful with a ball pen as we are with a laptop. Care given is proportional to the value we accord. And when something we value is endangered, instinctive fear runs through us.

It’s more like – what does the fear do for you? It didn’t prevent you from dropping the phone in the first place… after the phone was dropped, it doesn’t do anything to un-do it. And being fearful of always dropping your phone would not be productive, it might help you not drop your phone in the future, but it happens so rarely, and really being at ease and relaxed is a much more efficacious way of not making mistakes.

In short the fear is totally redundant, so putting dropping the phone on an “it doesn’t really matter” basis (doesn’t really matter I dropped it, will figure it out…), will help relate to the world in a more happy and harmless way, and you’ll find that as you are less fearful fewer things will go ‘wrong’ and you’ll be able to better react when they do.

3 Likes

Hi @Kiman,

The parallel between that feeling being linked to how much you (or any feeling being) value something is probably where to start looking at when considering “how to approach it”.

Obviously, our feelings do fluctuate with our values. Yet, as Claudiu pointed out, they obviously don’t mean we won’t lose the thing of value, or have it back because of the feeling. Very curious situation really!

It does make me wonder about what use feelings ever were to anyone. I always tend to think that the affective system (to use the term from Rick’s thread) was a more effective way of storing social information than could be done via pure genetic instinct. I think it must be social information, because i can’t see how it could be valuing the direct value of things, which could be programmed.

I have always used the example of the wishbone trapdoor spider i found on my front yard once; once a had investigated it (i had to search the internet), it turns out to be a fascinating little engineer! It gets its name from the “Y” shaped burrow it builds. One end of the “Y” is the trapdoor, the other an emergency room incase the burrow is flooded with water. It presumably has no emotions, it also does not have a brain. They have a thickening of nerves in the thorax which serves as a “brain”.

The point is, it “values” without feelings. It preserves it’s life pre-emptively through a clever engineering design.

In any case, the dropped phone was not designed via feeling. It’s an example of engineering. So, to pre-emptively value ones phone, it’s best to have a good quality phone case. I recommend “otter” cases, or my current one which is “pelican” case. In the 25 plus years i have owned and dropped phones, i am yet to break one. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Before smartphones were a thing, i had an amazing Motorola phone with a gortex covered, dust and waterproof body. I used to throw it on the concrete to impress my kids with how tough it was.

Interestingly, my three sons seem to regularly break phones because it is the fashion amongst their peers not to have phone cases. It could be said they value the social approval more than rhe phone. Yet, they are very distressed when they break yet another phone.

1 Like