Global warming/climate change

Just to re-iterate, the assumption of -18°C comes from a “model of the Earth that is 1) flat, 2) black, 3) static, 4) bathed in 1/4-strength sunbeams that 5) constantly (24/7) and 6) evenly irradiate the flat/black Earth”.

While the actual Earth is 1) spherical 2) terraqueous 3) rotating 4) bathed in full-strength sunbeams that 5) alternate between night and day and 6) unevenly irradiate the Earth based on its spherical geometry.

So you’re saying it is a good assumption to make that the actual Earth also “should” be -18°C?

Hmm. Well I have to get very imaginative to allow that.

From my understanding, which is the accumulation of various images from text books, media etc, the earth was never a inert black body. It may well have been black at some point, but only because it was far from inert.

Also I don’t say this to be offensive, but genuinely curious of how it can be you had no idea? It’s in the article Richard posted, for example:

I attribute it to the nature of the discussion. There are powerful vibes and psychic currents keeping people entrenched in this belief. And so I think this leads to it being easy to miss things. This my theory anyway, besides any usual easy-to-miss quality of reading things in general. But you very thoroughly read and understood, for example, the “lapse rate”, so it’s certainly not any issue you might have with reading comprehension in general!

That may or may not be so, but it was certainly never flat, static, bathed in 1/4th the sunlight it actually is, 24/7, and evenly so!

1 Like

So I can accept, based on my knowledge, that the earth was never a cold black object.

If it ever was, and the theory that the moon collided with it is fact, it certainly isn’t now.

I would have to attempt the math as to why that is considered to be a reasonable starting point.

I only read today the Stefan-Blotzmann law.

I was average at math at best. Far too visual to be excited by the abstraction.

I came across this video with Edward Witten [1] and it might answer your question of why it’s “considered to be reasonable” (in a general sense):

INTERVIEWER: They had [?] Wigner’s famous comment about “The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics”[2] kind of elicits a desire to probe what that means. We know the effectiveness of mathematics but why the word “unreasonable”? Physics [?] is supposed to be reasonable! The perception that the math is unreasonable is a very probative [sic? provocative?] idea.

WITTEN: Well, it’s uncanny how powerful mathematics is in understanding physics. So I think Eugene Wigner had in mind the fact that on the one hand to understand the equations of physics you need to know a surprising amount of rather sophisticated math, but on the other hand the equations of physics are mathematically interesting.

So mathematics is the language in which laws of physics are formulated and in terms of which they have to be studied.

INTERVIEWER: So you’re using your own term “uncanny”.

WITTEN: Yes

INTERVIEWER: He said “unreasonable”.

WITTEN: Yes

INTERVIEWER: Slightly different, but why do you think it’s uncanny?

WITTEN: Well, it’s as if the universe had been created by a mathematician [emphasis added].

[Source: Edward Witten - Why the ‘Unreasonable Effectiveness’ of Mathematics - YouTube]

In other words, math is (literally) the God upon which it all starts… so of course it has to be a reasonable starting point :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth I don’t think the math needed in this particular context is of an unattainably high level. You just need to know multiplication, division, and squaring / taking the square root, plus some geometry (radius, surface area of a disk, of a sphere). It is tricky to keep it all straight when doing the equations themselves (I made 3 mistakes in a row when trying to calculate how much the Earth supposedly heats up the Sun via backradiation in the Quantumville universe… my latest calculation is some amount far, far less than 0.0000000000001K ) but doable with some care taken to it.

1. “Edward Witten is a theoretical physicist and professor of mathematical physics at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey. Witten is a researcher in string theory, quantum gravity, supersymmetric quantum field theories, and other areas of mathematical physics.” ↩︎

2. The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences” is a 1960 article by the physicist Eugene Wigner. In the paper, Wigner observes that a physical theory’s mathematical structure often points the way to further advances in that theory and even to empirical predictions.

[Source: The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences - Wikipedia] ↩︎

Vineeto, more-or-less, challenged me to confirm or refute Richard’s opinion. She might not put it that way but before replying to her latest email, I feel it very prudent to take a deep dive.

I’m coming from a place that climate change is probably man-made due to 2 things. 1) it’s going on during the population explosion/industrial age. 2) Even gas and oil companies, OPEC countries, and the union of petro-engineers concede that it’s made-made. I’ve always lived by the assumption that greed trumps everything so I would find it very perplexing if Saudi Arabia and Exxon confirmed man-made global warming when there are perfectly good scientific reasons to refute it.

But what I find very interesting is that the so-called refutations of sceptic/denier arguments are all quasi-strawmen. That’s a red flag. They seem to pick the dumber arguments to refute and ignore the good ones. I haven’t seen any climate change sceptic refutation that talks about evaporation or conduction.

Right now, I’m mulling over the atmosphere question and the point that a source can’t get hotter from the thing it’s heating.

On the former, it seems to me that if conduction is responsible for over 99% of the heat in the atmosphere and thermal radiation is only 1% then adding trace amounts of CO2 won’t have any effect. And certainly convection and evaporation would mitigate what little effect it did have. That should be the base assumption anyway. But it doesn’t seem to be the base assumption. Based on wacky models they seem to think conduction plays little to no role in heating the lower atmosphere. I can’t say I understand those models but I do understand they are based on an egregious simplification of the Earth’s surface.

On the latter point, I don’t see why preventing heat from escaping wouldn’t make the source hotter. When I wear a hat, my head gets hot.

So this is very interesting, because, two assumptions have been nobly challenged. The assumption that money trumps everything has been challenged. The assumption that climate change scientist and climate change writers are being sincere has been challenged. But I don’t understand Richards point that the source can’t be reheated by it’s own energy.

I think my next step is to take a look at ice sheet analysis. It may turn out those studies are as flawed as the flat earth surface temperature models. It’s important to know if they are or are not reliable because that would tell us if we can know the ice sheets world wide had ever rapidly receded before like we are seeing them rapidly recede now.

Either way, I think public policy should factor in that this movement may be man-made. And if we can know they have never moved like we are seeing them move now then policy should assume the man-made hypothesis with or without actual proof. Global warming has always been half science and half risk mitigation for me. I’m grateful to finally be catching up on the science part.

One final note, I don’t understand why all the heat of the lower atmosphere doesn’t rise to the upper atmosphere.

I will get back to the points, and math. Right now I am interested in why the geothermal heat is not counted.

I was taken aback to have read that, and admittedly I skipped straight past it.

I have an experiment in mind. :face_with_peeking_eye:

Regardless, I don’t spend any time wondering what things really are.

I voiced that recollection of our conversations, Richard telling me stories of school, and wondering “what is electricity?”

Frankly, I just don’t wonder at all.

Ever really.

I am concerned 100% of the time with some aspect of me. As Vineeto said “getting what I want”.

Even when tripping my arse off, though to a more sensible level than THE trip (may I never be so arrogant again), wondering what things are just never occurs to me.

As I said many times, I enjoy the conversation. Mostly, that’s the highlight of my existence; conversations.

It’s rather interesting that I was only trying to look (again) into the rebellious feelings which define so much of my reality, and this conversation is elevated to AFT levels!

I am pleased that Richard and Vineeto, at the very least, are well enough to be still having fun, and it’s a very welcome to be indirectly talking with them.

Crazy. Absolutely crazy. While not exactly about ice sheets, I came across this information while looking for information about ice sheets. I never knew the little ice age lasted so long, was so broadly felt and just finished up less than 200 years ago. There’s evidence of it effecting societies in China and Mexico. And most experts of the topic say it lasted for as long as 580 years and may have lasted until 1880. Not only that but the glacial surges during that time were as noticeable as the glacial retreats are today. All this time, I was under the impression the little ice age was a very brief outlier event that corresponded with a super volcano eruption.

For all we know, the current glacial retreat may merely be a return to normalcy. Quite honestly, this is huge for me. This means that everything is on the table. If man-made global warming is presented so universally as being all but certain (I already knew of surveys showing most individual scientist of various specialties were less certain than media and government agencies let on) then anything our institutions report can be a falsehood. The moon landing may have been faked. The CCP may be a benevolent organization. Staring directly at the sun may actually improve your eyesight.

1 Like

Yea but if you put a thermometer inside the hat, would it ever go above your body temperature (37C), which is the source of the heat? Would it actually increase the temperature of the surface of your head?

Alternatively if you layer under piles of heavy blankets, do you ever get hotter than your body temperature?

The common sense answer, acquired by living life on this planet, is that no, it would top out at most equal to your body temperature.

As an analogy the blackbody Earth model is saying that the Earth’s “body temperature” (ie surface temperature) is -18C, and “putting a hat on it” or “wrapping it in a blanket” raises it to +15C.

I’m actually really curious to try my hot plate experiment but I don’t have one that stays always on at a low enough temperature. The model says it should heat up more once I cover it … … but I expect it won’t.

Ok I had to write a program to use high-precision math since the change was so small…

But if I got it right at last, then the Quantumville math works out that, if the sun were 5778K without the Earth present in the solar system (all else being equal), it ends up being 5778.000000000000001206775K due to the magnitude of the Earth’s back-radiation onto the Sun.

Or in other words, since the sun is 5778K as it is now, it would be 5777.999999999999998793225K without the Earth, and the presence of the Earth makes it 5778K.

To put it differently, the Sun without the Earth would output 385,100,814,358,013,156,035,212,244W (385.1 yottawatts), while as a net result of all the back-radiation from the Earth it is outputting an extra 321,723,812W (321.7 megawatts) bringing it to 385,100,814,358,013,156,356,936,057W total.

Here is the code that calculated it: earth_heats_up_the_sun.py (4.5 KB)

A small point to consider - It’s just a cursory thought than an in depth research into these matters

Even if the secondary source of heat(atmosphere) cannot raise the temperature of its primary source of heat(the land heated by the Sun), the rate of cooling of the primary source of heat(the land) will be affected if the secondary source of heat(atmosphere) is hotter or cooler.

For example, if I were to get a burn on my skin…it makes sense to put the burnt skin in cooler water than warmer water

Now since global warming is about average surface temperatures I guess these temperatures are getting recorded at certain intervals at a certain place and then averaged out…and if temperature is recorded at time intervals, then due to a lower rate of cooling(due to a hotter atmosphere) the average temperature recorded can get higher?

It may or may not be so, but this is the crux:

The model that leads to all the doom and gloom projections of higher CO2 leading to significant warming, presumes that the secondary source of heat does raise the temperature of the primary source.

And all the models of how much CO2 will lead to how much warming, also rely on this presumption.

So without it there’s no reason to think CO2 even has any effect on the global surface temperature…

No offence taken. It’s highly likely that just about any topic I am otherwise not experienced in, despite that information being easily available, I would have “no idea”.

Currently, I am quite fascinated by how “emissivity works”.

I was already having a good time going back an forth in the topic, yet to know that Richard is taking an interest, well, who could pass up the opportunity to be even more interested?

So far, I am trying to get to the bottom of why the Stefan-Blotzmann equation, modified by the “emissivity” of the planet (which so far seems to be 0.95) is the “weapon of choice” for this calculation.

It does seem to be, in this age of beyond “super-computers” strange that any approximation would be needed.

I understand abstraction as I use it every day. Houses are not two dimensional things on a piece of paper (or it’s digital representation), yet they work perfectly for what I do.

This of course, is many magnitudes more complex than houses.

I’m following this whole discussion with interest, especially now that Richard’s involved. That said, I’m attempting to understand what you are describing here:

Are saying here that blankets and hats do not raise body temperature? I always had the impression they did.

Just to confirm that impression I found a small study that measured the effect of blankets and hats on neonatal body temperature.

Conclusions. Bundling and warm environments can elevate newborn body temperature to the “febrile” range in this age group.
https://publications.aap.org/pediatrics/article-abstract/92/2/238/58534/Effect-of-Bundling-and-High-Environmental

Whether the effect of planetary atmospheres are analogous to the effect of blankets may or may not be relevant to this discussion.

Side Note; I am currently waiting for my son to have time to explain the geology to me. He is a less than a year away from completing his degree as a Geologist. So, I am bringing in the big guns peeps! :joy::joy::joy:

With a continued lack of intention to offend - you misunderstood my query.

Here’s the sequence of part of our conversation with timestamps, all on March 21:

[10:00am] ANDREW: I have read Richard’s Global Warming post a couple of times now. […] I found, through searching the origin of Point 2, the Stefan-Blotzmann law, and the -18 degrees.
[10:15am] CLAUDIU: If you did literally place a flat black disk in orbit around the Sun, with no atmosphere, and it did really even out to a temperature of -18°C… what would actually happen if you then added upon this flat black disk, an atmosphere or other type of insulating layer? “Of course” the most that could happen is the atmosphere, too, would reach -18°C… since the surface would be heating the atmosphere, the surface is only -18°C, and so the atmosphere can’t heat its heat source to greater than its temperature…
[10:28am] ANDREW: Um , no. We aren’t talking about the surface temperature. […]
[10:47am] CLAUDIU: Au contraire, it is the surface that is said would be -18°C without an atmosphere, and the surface that is said to heat up to +15°C as a result of the atmosphere: [… snip quotes …]
[10:45am] ANDREW: If there is zero greenhouse effect (however poorly named) , then why is it habitable?
[10:47am] CLAUDIU: You’re still presuming the earth “should be” -18°C, and therefore that some effect is needed to explain why it isn’t… […]
[11:03am] ANDREW: For whatever it’s worth, I had no idea that an assumption of -18C was being used.

Richard’s Global Warming post was first put up on March 13. On March 21st at 10:00am you said you had read it “a couple of times now”. So how could it be that from March 13th up until March 21st at 11:03 am you “had no idea that an assumption of -18C was being used” when it’s clearly written out in the article, which we had been discussing in detail for 8 days??

Viz.:

Cheers,
Claudiu

I meant, that despite the assertion which I was peripherally aware of, (a basic temperature somewhere below zero) I wasn’t particularly informed on it’s widespread use as a basis for the science; from the sources themselves, rather than what I had picked up.
As to whether I have been reading everything presented in depth, no, I haven’t been doing anything close to an extensive study. Neither am I likely too.

As of right now, I am yet to see, either from yourself or Richard anything that passes as more than an interesting topic to discuss. I don’t see anything presented which even passes my complete amateur status, let alone the vaguest wiff of an alternative backed up by the evidence in anything so far written here, or on the AFT.

That’s not to say I am not interested , yet it seems that I first must build both arguments, to see what the state of affairs is.

Neither yourself, or Richard has presented an alternative beyond “conduction and convection” , certainly not in anything close to a tl;dr.

Admittedly, somewhat offended, but that is par for the course.

Swirling one’s hands around and saying “it’s the convention, man!” is highly appealing, and I am all for a good trip. However, so far none of the arguments have been convincing. So it’s as I said, up to me to build some “meat” on Richard/your argument.