Drawing the line between feeling and fact

it looks to me like emotions arise coincident to thought regarding sensory input.

so sensory input is actual, that such thoughts (may) occur is (and if they do, that they are experienced is) actual, that emotions (may) be produced is (and if they are, that they are experienced is) actual.

that does NOT mean however, emotions (or thoughts for that matter) are actual.

some folks ( < 1% ) claim that such (self-referential, narrative, independently-and-spontaneous-seeming) “thoughts” (and thus coincident "emotion) no longer occur to them and instead “thought” becomes largely volitional (instead of the . . . oppressor it is to the 99%).

if you experience desire, that is an actual experience but that does not require/mean that the desire itself is actual.

here’s a question: how can you be sure the new-born infant fresh out the womb Has “raw emotions”?

admittedly, it certainly yowls at times as though it might, but how can we be sure this behaviour is different from the suckling “instinct”, the nest building “instinct” of the bird, or the dam building “instinct” of the beaver?

and that any “emotion” is not simply enculturated (learned) behavior that we project upon the child?

Hi Dan - I am struck by the contradiction of stating that (a) occurrences of thoughts and emotions are actual; and (b) thoughts and emotions are not actual.

To actually occur is to actually exist.

howdy Rick, sorry. my wording was ambiguous, i should have said, “… that does not mean however, that the CONTENT of the thoughts (or the emotions they spawn) are actual”.

Thanks for clarifying. Here is the updated statement:

To summarize:

i. The occurrence and existence of thought may be actual, but the the content of thought is not actual;
ii. The occurrence and existence of emotion may be actual, but the content of emotion is not actual.

Is that an accurate summation?

It depends on how you define “existence” i suppose. Does a (night)dream exist in the same manner, way, and kind as you consider your self to exist? If so, then i would have to say that thoughts (at least) probably “exist” similarly. It should be noted that i am NOT my self an actualist (that is probably clear to an actualist :slight_smile: ).

i felt what i thought felt like a spider crawl up my leg the other day but when i checked there was no spider. So some sensation SEEMINGLY occurred and spawned the thought (which, i must admit, spawned some emotional trepidation) but no spider. So which of the sensation, thought, emotion, spider “exists” in your view?

Hi @dhowell

Welcome Dan.

The “spider up your leg” is an hallucination. I remember many hallucinations i have had, mainly when over tired and in bed, but sometimes when sick.

I have had a few conversations with schizophrenics, and it’s remarkable that i had a conversation many years ago about the experience one member of a forum (a schizophrenic) who said the experience of a hallucination of a spider was no different than an actual spider.

That’s terrifying.

The fact is we can hallucinate. Really, really well.

So well, that the premise of actualism is that we are hallucinating an ENTIRE reality.

In the words of Future in 8 mile “spin that shit DJ”.

:joy:

Further :slight_smile: although they do SEEM to occur, i am not at all sure MY thoughts, emotions, and indeed even me myself are any more Actual than is Santa or his thoughts (about bad boys and good girls) and emotions (of Ho Ho Ho joyous frivolity at the prospect of delivering them their just desserts).

1 Like

Existence is that which is being (or happening, or occurring).

Definition: being (verb): 1. Existence.
BEING English Definition and Meaning | Lexico.com

Definition: be (verb): 1. Exist; 2. Occur.
BE English Definition and Meaning | Lexico.com

Definition: occur (verb): 1. Happen; 1.1. Exist.
OCCUR English Definition and Meaning | Lexico.com

Going by your account, and bearing in mind that that which occurs is that which exists (by definition), then:

(1) a sensation occurred on your leg, so a sensation existed;

(2) a thought of a spider being on your leg occurred, so a thought of a spider existed;

(3) emotional trepidation at the thought of a spider being on your leg occurred, so emotional trepidation existed;

(4) a spider crawling up your leg did not occur, so no spider crawling up your leg existed.

What brought you to this part of the world wide web?

Yes, it is a remarkably contentious matter as to whether the fact that something occurs, exists, or happens – like the emotional trepidation you referred to – necessarily means that it actually occurs, exists, or happens.

Right. What exists?

As Richard pointedly remarked once: “hold your hand over your mouth, keep it there. When you finally remove it, gasping for air, you can be sure the air exists” (paraphrasing from memory).

1 Like

Hi Rick,

Your message here might be an opportune moment to productively continue our conversation.

As you say here that a spider was experienced as existing, via the senses (1), thoughts (2), and emotions (3), yet no spider actually did exist (4)… does this answer the question you posed to me of whether something that doesn’t exist can be experienced to exist?

If so then perhaps you can see how feeling-being ‘Rick’, though ‘he’ is experienced as existing, might not actually exist after all - similarly to how the spider did not actually exist after all?

Regards,
Claudiu

rick: “Yes, it is a remarkably contentious matter as to whether the fact that something occurs, exists, or happens – like the emotional trepidation you referred to – necessarily means that it actually occurs, exists, or happens.”

Yes, just because an object (anything that can be experienced) SEEMS to exist, does that REALLY :slight_smile: make it “actual”, “an occurrence”, or “a fact”? (rhetorical)

It seems to me that “seeming to be” - a feeling that some thing IS - is not very good evidence that it is so.

i don’t specifically recall, but i was . . . cogitating on how looking/feeling into my ACTUAL present experience always seems to differ from what my thoughts/emotions “tell me” about what i am experiencing (ie; what SEEMS to be).

What i mean is - if i remember to (try to) look into present experience without (pre)conception/memory, like a newborn (as far as possible), then almost no matter what thoughts/emotions may be present (no matter how subjectively negative they may seem), then i can find no thing but complete peace “there”.

The most efficacious way i have found to . . . “access” this . . . complete peace is in the pause at the end of a completely relaxed outbreath.

Hi Claudiu - that was not said by me.

Indeed, the only things that could be said to have been experienced in that scenario – and all that was experienced – was that which occurred (existed), namely: a sensation on the leg, a thought of a spider, an emotional trepidation at the thought, and a verification that no spider was on the leg.

But since you are implicitly – if not explicitly – suggesting that it is possible to experience that which does not exist, then what approach do you personally take to verify the existence of anything?

Surely you cannot take the empirical approach as that would rely on experience and, as you are attempting to demonstrate, you are able to experience things which do not exist; or to put it another way, you are incapable of experiencing only the things that exist. Anywhere from 0.1% to 99.9% of what you are experiencing at this moment of being alive – the only moment you are ever alive – may exist, who’s to say? Certainly not experience. So determining whether or not something exists cannot, for you, be an experiential matter:

What then can you rely on, right now, at this moment, to determine whether something exists?

Exactly. To experience the air rushing in is to know that it exists. You don’t need a PCE or anything else to verify that it exists. Or do you?

Does it matter that the experience of air rushing in – or any other experience for that matter – might be induced by an hallucination caused by a brain tumor or a sophisticated computer simulation a la The Matrix?

Would that negate its existence?

At the end, whatever can be said about what exists or what doesn’t exist, surely one cannot deny that experience itself exists.

Experience exists. Now, what is experience? Is there a line that can be drawn between the experience and the contents of the experience? Are they not one and the same thing?

Hmm… Indeed you didn’t say it, I presumed it as said based on what one would typically consider to be experiencing something.

What then, would it mean for you, to say that a spider was experienced?

Take two situations:

A: 1) a sensation is experienced on your leg that feels like a spider, 2) you turn your head to look at your leg, and 3) you see no spider there
B: 1) a sensation is experienced on your leg that feels like a spider, 2) you turn your head to look at your leg, and 3) you do see a spider there

Would you say that in B1 a spider is experienced but not in A1? And if there is a difference, how can it be, because the situations are identical up to that point (they only differ at 3). That is you only know afterwards whether it was indeed a spider.

And then for B3, would you say a spider is experienced? But if so, why? If the sensation of touch that a spider would produce doesn’t count as experiencing a spider, then the sensation of sight that a spider would produce also shouldn’t count. So you wouldn’t be experiencing a spider in B3 either. If so then what would count for you as experiencing a spider?

And indeed as you never experience objects directly - you only experience sensory input - how can you say anything exists other than the sensations of sight, touch, sound, etc., that you experience? Or are you saying only the sensations exist and nothing else?

Further does anything exist outside of your personal experience? And if so how do you know?

This can’t be answered meaningfully until we’re on the same page of what counts for you as “existence” (see above) - which is why I don’t want to answer this question directly yet.

Claudiu, these are excellent questions. I will give them considerable thought before replying.

1 Like

The experience, ‘spider,’ is the moment the mind recognizes enough cues to say, ‘spider.’

That is why it takes only a tickling sensation (real or imagined) on the leg for the mind to say, ‘spider.’

For the mind, in that moment, the spider is real.

Any further verification in the positive (yes spider) or negative (no spider) does not genuinely tell us if there is in fact a spider or not, as all could be additional layers of hallucination (or ‘matrix’ as rick points out).

However, what the actual experience consists of is apperception.

In apperception, with no belief-ridden ‘being’ being the ‘experiencer,’ the ‘imaginer,’ then the pure qualia is experienced with no additional imaginative-feeling layers happening.

The example I remember Richard using is, ‘that is a bicycle’ (upon seeing a bicycle.)

As opposed to remaining in the pure, direct experiencing of the actuality happening:

In that brief scintillating instant of bare awareness, that twinkling sensorium-moment of consciousness being conscious of being consciousness, one apperceives a thing as a nothing-in-particular that is being naught but what-it-is coming from nowhen and going nowhere at all.

The actuality can only be apperceived… it is the felt veil, ‘me,’ that creates reality, near-instantly inserting a ‘real’ spider where a moment before there was a bare moment of apperception.

The bare moment of apperception is the actual… and the eight-legged biter, ‘spider,’ can be apperceived - as can a phantom itch on the leg with no spider present.

In apperception one still hasn’t verified until the trouser-leg has been pulled up to reveal the source of the sensation.

But there is no ‘reality’ informing ‘what is going on’ (and thus blocking the actual experience from eventuating), and even replacing any actual spider with a ‘real’ spider.

edit:

And, by the way, any attempt by ‘me’ to experience the material-actual is useless, as I am eternally replacing the actual things with ‘my’ version of it, clouded by emotional meanings. I’ve been experimenting lately with ‘cold, stark, barren’ reality, in which ‘I’ am seeing clearly ‘my’ cold, materialistic reality… cold, barren meaningless surfaces… an extra-sneaky moment of ‘me’ replacing the actual with ‘cold, material’ things. The actual is never cold, barren, or meaningless.

Yes, precisely. I’m still giving Claudiu’s excellent queries deeper thought as I go about my business, stopping here and there to wonder about it, and I intend at the moment to provide a more comprehensive and thought-out response later on (or maybe this post will suffice?), which may or may not end up being aligned with what I say in this comment, but what you say here strikes as true at the moment, tentatively-speaking.

So as to be completely in accord with what is indisputable, when one perceives an object and has committed to identifying it, one cannot know with 100 percent assurance whether one has correctly identified or has correctly recognized the perceived object. All that can be known with 100 percent assurance is that an object, a something – such as a shape, color, texture, form, thought, emotion – has happened and has been perceived. This is what can be said to have been experienced. When an object is perceived, say visually and tactilely, then the cognitive process of identification and recognition is automatically applied to the object, categorizing it, and spitting out a label that accords with what the identification process has discerned the object to resemble, in this case “spider”, whereupon further response and interaction ensues, such as feeling horrified or jumping out of one’s seat. The act of identification and recognition that leads up to the classification label “spider” is liable to be, and remarkably often-enough is, erroneous or inaccurate. The perceived object can easily be misidentified, misrecognized, or misclassified. Perhaps it was a cricket rather than a spider; it could have been a stray cotton ball, an hallucination, or it could have indeed been a spider afterall. Yet whatever it was, what is indisputable is that it was an object of perception, something that appeared to one’s consciousness. This is what is being indisputably experienced: the object itself (correctly or erroneously identified).

Is this not fundamentally what “objective” existence is about: the occurrence of the object? Experience occurs when an existent object (“objective existence”) appears or presents itself before, or opposite to, the subject. It is the subject’s observation and encounter with the object (“objective existence”) that produces the experience. Etymologically “object” means “that which presents itself to the sight”:

object (n.): late 14c. … from Old French object and directly from Medieval Latin obiectum “thing put before” (the mind or sight), noun use of neuter of Latin obiectus “lying before, opposite” … from Latin obiectus “that which presents itself to the sight.” Meaning “that toward which a cognitive act is directed” is from 1580s.
object | Etymology, origin and meaning of object by etymonline

The cognitive and affective processes that arise in response to the objects that appear before the subject are also indisputably occurring and are themselves being experienced; they are objects themselves appearing before the subject. Etymologically “experience” means “observation as the source of knowledge”:

experience (n.): late 14c., “observation as the source of knowledge; actual observation; an event which has affected one,” from Old French esperience “experiment, proof, experience” (13c.), from Latin experientia “a trial, proof, experiment; knowledge gained by repeated trials …”
experience | Search Online Etymology Dictionary

Observation requires both subject and object. If there is no object, there is no observation. The existence of the object is a necessary requisite for the experience to take place. Without object, there is no experience to be had thus no knowledge to be gained (of even the most basic variety such as: “experience exists”). No object, no experience; and if there is experience, there is object.

Regarding the inherent accuracy-rate of the identification process – whether the object on the leg is a spider or not, whether the object identified as “leg” is a leg or not – involves matters of probability and functionality occurring mostly automatically and unconsciously, which could be expressed as, “it is probably [this] or it is probably [that] so let’s operate on those assumptions and hope for the best.” Therefore to assert as an indisputable fact that a spider is being experienced is to miss the mark, somewhat, and get caught up in a presumptive, superficial, and sometimes contentious – though perhaps functionally necessary – identification process. It is experience which is happening; it is object by whatever name which is being experienced; it is object by whatever name which exists and is known to exist because it is object by whatever name which is being experienced. Without object there is no experience; without experience there is no knowledge of object. Object and experience (object and subject?) are intertwined in lockstep. I cannot fathom how there can ever be an experience – an encounter or awareness – of an object that does not exist. It is inconceivable.

(tentatively-speaking, still exploring …)

Richard made some remarks that resonate here:

Richard (2004): Other than being apperceptively aware of infinitude I am already ‘clueless’ about the universe.
Mailing List 'AF' Respondent No. 49

(2004)
RESPONDENT: Do you, perchance, know what the sun actually is?
RICHARD: No, virtually the only thing regarding the properties of the universe that is readily apparent here in this actual world is its infinitude … matters such as what a star/ planet/ moon/ comet is require observation and illation.
Mailing List 'AF' Respondent No. 60

Just a brief note to aid in your continued exploration…

If the cognitive and affective processes (along with the sensate ones) are also objects appearing before “the subject”… then what, precisely, is the subject?

If anything that is experienced is an object then that would mean the subject can never be experienced, because by experiencing the subject it would then become an object as well. Is this the case - can the subject be experienced? Can the subject experience itself? What is the subject after all - what is it that is experiencing all this?

1 Like