Connection to pure intent without contact?

Still processing the rest, but @henryyyyyyyyyy 's focus on this part drew my attention to it as well. I had to double check my own usage of the term because my long-held understanding was that they are literal equivalents that refer to the exact same thing; that there is literally no difference between “connection” and the “state of being connected.” The suffix “+ion” refers to the state or condition of something. Your inclusion of the word “rather” (above) suggests that you see a distinction.

browser_beJSeFcXbj

If two things are connected, they are in a state of being connected, which means that there is connection. They all refer to the same happening. Connection = State of being connected:

browser_AA1aG45qpS

browser_uK76skGJBW

Are you drawing your own idiosyncratic distinction between “connection” and “state of being connected”? Do you interpret Richard as having drawn the same idiosyncratic distinction there?

I think the argument is that ‘connection’ is a belief formed by an entity that already experiences itself as ‘not connected.’

With ‘connection to pure intent’ it is merely being used in a colloquial sense, for convenience.

In the actual there are no connections… even cause & effect have no meaning… because everything is already one thing.

So it’s more accurate to say that one’s ‘existential sense’ has been activated, allowing one to experience purity, where it could not be experienced before. This is an actual event that occurs, resulting in an actual stream of benignity & benevolence.

Almost like if you were unable to smell because a nerve didn’t reach to the brain, one day someone corrected it via surgery, and now you can smell.

You’re not exactly ‘connected’ to smell, the floating molecules constituting ‘smells’ had always existed, but now you can detect them.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I follow the rest of it, but this that you wrote is interesting: “In the actual there are no connections . . . everything is already one thing.”

Connection implies a joining together of two distinct things. Two lego pieces connect. A pen connects with note paper. A phone line connects two houses. Numerous bits of lubricant, plastic, metal, and glass all join together to form a truck. In Power Rangers, individual zords fasten together to form Megazord, and so on.

But in the actual universe, there are no distinct bits to either connect or disconnect. It’s just one infinitely massive and seamless construct. Each piece distinct when viewed locally, each piece indistinct from the whole? Something like that?

1 Like

Yes, normally the self identifies who it is, where it is, and when it is in relation to specific other reference points, creating separation as in ‘I am separate from that, there’ ‘I am over here, that is over there.’

But the actual experience is without such specific reference points, creating a sensation of ‘placelessness,’ a lack of time, and a lack of separation. Devika in a PCE notes, “nowhere is there a boundary.”

It’s only the self that creates categories of ‘this lego, that lego’

The other day I experienced an intimation of this, it was as if I was swimming ‘underwater’ through the air in a jungle of phenomena

Another thing that points toward the same information is that the ‘brain’ isn’t separate from the ‘nerves,’ they are structurally the same with just a difference in length & location - a nerve is just a very long neuron, extending, for example, out to the finger-tip.

This means that I am not the brain, I am the entire nervous-system.

And I am more than the entire nervous system, I am this entire body, as all parts of the body are required to keep the nervous system functional.

Further, a neuron is merely communicating chemical-electrical signals to other parts of the nervous-system cluster, so any form of communication will do.

When I hold a stick in my hand and tap it on something, physical vibrations are being transmitted up the stick to my hand, and then into my nervous system cluster. Where is the boundary? This is also noticeable when driving an automobile, and it is experienced that one’s ‘body’ is the exterior of the car. But you can see how this can continue endlessly.

This, when experienced, is infinitude.

The only boundaries are created by ‘me.’

3 Likes

Lovely @henryyyyyyyyyy

Hmm I re-read what Richard wrote and it looks like we’re saying different things actually.

What I’ve been attempting to convey is that, regarding pure intent, it isn’t that ‘I’ am connected to the purity per se but rather that ‘I’ allow the purity to be experienced, and ‘I’ sort of exist side-by-side with the purity at the same time – like imagine looking at two vessels of liquid, one is water and one is coca cola. The water and the coca-cola are both simultaneously experienced even though the two are not connected. So the experience of the purity is consciously experienced side-by-side with the experience of ‘me’, in some manner.

So my using the term ‘state of being connected’ as opposed to ‘connection’ was a way to draw this distinction. But I see now that that’s not what Richard meant, that actually these two things are synonyms. Richard simply describes pure intent as a connection between “naïve intimacy”/“the near-purity of the sincerity of naïveté” and “that palpable life-force”/“that benedictive perfection and purity”/“the pristine-purity of an actual innocence”. i.e. as a connection between (a part of) ‘me’, and that actual purity.

I believe what Richard was clarifying is the following… when we talk of a connection we might think of two things, Thing-A and Thing-B, joined by a connective Thing-Connecting. e.g. if i plug my iPhone into my laptop, Thing-A is my iPhone, Thing-B my laptop, and Thing-Connecting is the cable. So it might look like the following is the case:

The “Connection”:

• Thing-A: naive intimacy
  • Thing-B: benedictive perfection and purity
  • Thing-Connecting: pure intent*

i.e. it may seem that 'pure intent" refers to the “Thing-Connection” above (and not to Thing-A or Thing-B), and therefore as something distinct from Thing-B.

And what Richard clarified is that this “connection” is best described in other words, as “the state of being connected”, and it is “the state of being connected” itself that is “pure intent” (i.e. the state of ‘me’ as ‘naive intimacy’ being connected to the perfection and purity).

Pure Intent = the state of the following being connected:

• Thing-A: naive intimacy
  • Thing-B: benedictive perfection and purity
  • Thing-Connecting: ??

Basically he is saying that pure intent is simultaneously both the palpable life-force itself and the state of ‘my’ naive intimacy being connected to that very-same palpable life-force.

In my experience I can confirm that what I experience as pure intent while not in a PCE, is indeed one-and-the-same-thing as the purity that I experience in a PCE, but they are just experienced differently.

The purpose of the (apparently idiosyncratic to me) distinction was to explain how something that isn’t actual / doesn’t exist, can be connected to something that is actual / does actually exist. And the way I explain it is that it’s not a connection in a literal sense of iPhone connected via a wire to a computer (as in three actually existing things all connected), but rather that it’s that ‘I’ allow the purity to be experienced.

It all gets a bit hazy/muddy as I think about it/try to explain in different ways :smiley: . Surprisingly tricky to convey. But the experience itself is very clear… there’s no experiential confusion (now) of ‘me’ which doesn’t actually exist, experiencing a connection to / allowing an experience of a purity outside of ‘me’ that does actually exist, without ‘me’ being able to “get in” to that purity and dirty it, and without that purity being able to “control” or “force” or have any “power” over me or be affected by ‘me’ in any way.

I think what makes it difficult to convey is that ‘I’ literally cannot see outside of ‘myself’. Like I was trying to experience what the ‘interface’ might be between the actual sense of sight and what ‘I’ see via ‘my’ sense of sight, and it’s just impossible to get ‘behind’ ‘my’ sense of sight… and trying to do so is actually somewhat alarming as ‘I’ am basically trying to see outside of ‘my’ own (illusory) ‘existence’, which triggers a fear-response as it is a threat to end ‘me’… however when I instead follow the golden-thread pure intent then ‘my’ hold on consciousness weakens, experience begins to resemble a PCE more and more, and it becomes essentially a simple matter to allow a PCE and experience that actual sight… Basically ‘me’ trying to see behind ‘me’ while still being ‘me’ is impossible, but following pure intent and going into abeyance is “easy” :smiley: .

Also with all these words, ideas, sentences, etc., everything seems to work better and make more sense when I recognise that the point and purpose of all this is to help myself and others experience that purity more and more, to allow PCEs to happen, to follow that pure intent golden-clew, in order to get all of ‘me’ on board so ‘I’ self-immolate sooner rather than later… Essentially it matters not how it’s described, as long as the people reading it understand what is being conveyed, where “understand” specifically refers to them being able to experience that very same thing in their own experience (while reading it, ideally) and see clearly that the “referent” (that which the words refer to) of the writer is the same as the “referent” of the reader, which in this case is that very purity itself.

2 Likes

Right. Not just the brain, but the entire nervous system. Not just the entire nervous system, but all the parts of the body – the organs, tissues, cells, limbs that walk over to food, etc. Not just the parts of the body, but the whole environment the body exists in and depends on – the building structure that is protecting us from the elements, the surrounding oxygen rich air we are breathing, the not too hot/not too cold goldilocks temperature made possible by sun’s rays and this planet’s distance from it. Conditions that extend far beyond which allow for/ produce – each moment – this thinking, feeling, sensing, breathing, speaking, pus-filled conscious slab of meat :meat_on_bone: That is, until those conditions allow for/ produce a lifeless, unconscious slab of meat. Those conditions and causes infinite construct me and give me shape, they form every fold and wrinkle, they shape my thoughts and personality, they assemble every fiber, they move me left and right, up and down. That is, before they destruct and disassemble me; before they deform and destroy me, and then use what remains of me to construct something else entirely. Thank you, whatever you are, for putting me together for a moment in time, so that I can know what you are and what you do. Thank you for allowing me to appreciate and marvel at your work. Thank you for letting me see. It is good.

1 Like

@claudiu and @henryyyyyyyyyy
You guys are so generous, to explain this stuff with so much detail.
You could write a book on actual freedom.
So much useful information and I can not comment or write back
about many of them, in just this thread.

Especially for me who has never had a PCE and trying to
allow and have one for the past 2 weeks :slight_smile:

Does someone who has a limited amount of information about this stuff
, still has a chance of applying the method and becoming actually free?

The closest thing to a precondition we’re aware of is the sincere desire to experience intimacy with others.

Speaking for myself, I’ve sometimes gotten so into the ‘knowledge’ that I’ve lost track of the purity itself! I read and read and read the AFT and somewhat forgot my own PCEs. It’s since re-orienting with my own experiences as the guiding light that I’ve made the most progress.

One of the cool things about being a pioneer is, you get to go find out how it works yourself! We only have limited experiences & reports from the few free people, as well as the progress of others on the way. It’s exciting to try this and that, and explore everything that the psyche and the actual world have to offer!

I think you’re doing the perfect thing by putting effort into having a PCE. As you have the time and the interest, you can also seek and learn in other ways… the AFT is an incredible wealth of knowledge, this forum, the simple actualism site, basically wherever your attention takes you is valid investigation. As Richard would say, nothing can go wrong!

Thanks henryyyyyyyy, you and your answers are wonderful :slight_smile:

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Enjoying with senses vs feelings

It sure is fascinating to ponder but very hard to describe since we are not talking about an experience and not the interaction between two Lego pieces for instance. It’s a bit like asking what the interaction is between imagining playing basketball and actually picking up a basketball and playing. Not saying experience can’t be described but it’s worth asking: “what would a perfectly satisfying answer look like?”. Which is why I was satisfied with the “state of being connected” quote because it matched my own personal experience.

2 Likes

[Richard]: ‘(…). One can bring about a benediction from that perfection and purity which is the essential character of the universe by contacting and cultivating one’s original state of naiveté. Naiveté is that intimate aspect of oneself that is the nearest approximation that one can have of actual innocence – there is no innocence so long as there is a rudimentary self – and constant awareness of naive intimacy results in a continuing benediction. This blessing allows a connection to be made between oneself and the perfection and purity as is evidenced in a PCE. This connection I call pure intent. Pure intent endows one with the ability to operate and function safely in society without the incumbent social identity with its ever-vigilant conscience. Thus reliably rendered virtually innocent and relatively harmless by the benefaction of the perfection and purity, one can begin to dismantle the now-redundant social identity. The virtual magnanimity endowed by pure intent obviates the necessity for a social identity, born out of society’s values, to be extant and controlling the wayward self with a societal conscience’.

Pure intent has always been something that confused me at first regarding AF. When I first read about it I interpreted as some kind of religious or spiritual state and there was an aversion to what I was reading. I believe I mentioned before but when I was first exposed to AF (2004) my first 2 years were spent reading the site and looking for weaknesses and points of attack. To prove it is some form or religion, cult, spirituality, etc. This is how I used to spend some of my spare time, breaking down and attacking religions, cults, theism, etc. This was one of the areas that draw a lot of my initial scorn and attack.

I don’t know if I have misunderstood but to me pure intent was akin to remembering the PCE and what is gleaned from that experience, that everything is ultimately ok. That this is a genuine way of existing that is possible for this flesh and bloody body.

I always interpreted connection more as the synonyms association or relationship rather than some actual phenomenon of connecting, like connecting two wires or my phone to bluetooth. This association is now to know something tangible, a state that is known, experienced, as opposed to a hypothetical, theorised, conceptual. The memory of the experience of a PCE and awareness of everything that could be in alignment with that end goal, to the point of eventually experiencing a PCE again and eventually permanently is that pure intent.

RICHARD: G’day No. 13, Just putting in a plug for what is propagated by the website.

The ultimate source of an actualist’s pure intent is, of course, the pristine purity of the innocence which prevails in the pure consciousness experience (PCE).

For those who are unable to recall/ unable to trigger a PCE there is the near-purity of the sincerity which inheres in naiveté – the nearest a ‘self’ can get to innocence whilst remaining a ‘self’ – which naiveté is an aspect of oneself locked away in childhood through ridicule, derision, and so on, that one has dared not to resurrect for fear of appearing foolish, a simpleton, in both others’ eyes and, thus, one’s own.

(Because ‘naïve’ and ‘gullible’ are so closely linked – via the trusting nature of a child in concert with the lack of knowledge inherent to childhood – in the now-adult mind, most peoples initially have difficulty separating the one from another).

Now, seeing the fact (as ‘I’ am ‘my’ feelings and ‘my’ feelings are ‘me’) that it is plainly and simply ‘my’ choice as to how ‘I’ experience this moment (the only moment one is actually alive) is a first step leading to its discovery.

And, as the part-sentence you have quoted (further above) has been extracted out from the middle of the first paragraph of the section entitled ‘The Who And How of Attentiveness And Sensuousness And Apperceptiveness’, in the ‘Attentiveness And Sensuousness And Apperceptiveness’ article, then the opening lines provide a clue to an answer for your queries. Vis.:

• [quote] ‘The intent is you will become happy and harmless.
The intent is you will be free of sorrow and malice. The intent is you will become blithesome and benign. The intent is you will be free of fear and aggression. The intent is you will become carefree and considerate. The intent is you will be free from nurture and desire. The intent is you will become gay and benevolent. The intent is you will be free of anguish and animosity. The intent is that, by being free of the Human Condition, you will experience peace-on-earth, in this life-time, as this body … as is evidenced in a pure consciousness experience (PCE) (…)’. [endquote]

Spelled-out sequentially that first part of the paragraph, immediately prior to the part-sentence you extracted, can look something like this:

1. The initial intent comes from a vital interest in becoming happy and harmless.

That intent thus creates a vested interest in being free of sorrow and malice.

1. The initial intent comes from a vital interest in becoming blithesome and benign.

That intent thus creates a vested interest in being free of fear and aggression.

1. The initial intent comes from a vital interest in becoming carefree and considerate.

That intent thus creates a vested interest in being free from nurture and desire.

1. The initial intent comes from a vital interest in becoming gay and benevolent.

That intent thus creates a vested interest in being free of anguish and animosity.

All of this vital interest/ vested interest enables sincerity – as to be in accord with the fact/being aligned with factuality/ staying true to facticity is what being sincere is (as in being authentic/ guileless, genuine/ artless, straightforward/ ingenuous) and to be sincere is to be the key which unlocks naiveté … then the summing-up sentence can now look something like this:

The [sincere/ naïve] intent, then, is that by being free of the human condition you will experience peace-on-earth, in this life-time, as this body … as is evidenced in the PCE.

As that summary sentence leads straight on to the sentence you have part-quoted from then it too can now look something like this:

• [quote]: ‘(…) An actualist’s intent is a [sincere/ naïve] intent and discovering how to blend this [sincere/ naïve] intent via attentiveness – into one’s conscious life is the process that places one on the wide and wondrous path to actual freedom … this path is a virtual freedom’. [end quote]

Which in turn is immediately followed by the how-to sentences:

• [quote] ‘Uncovering how to prolong the condition of virtual freedom – via attentiveness and sensuousness – is still another process. These are felicitous and innocuous processes, however, and they are well worth the effort for attentiveness and sensuousness are central to virtual freedom and the key to the whole condition. Attentiveness and sensuousness are both the goal of actualism and the means to that end: one reaches apperceptiveness by being ever more sensuous and one activates sensuousness by being ever more attentive … and one activates attentiveness by no longer ‘feeling good’. [endquote]

In other words, it is the experiencing of no longer ‘feeling good’ (or ‘feeling happy/ harmless’ or ‘feeling excellent/ perfect’) which activates attentiveness again (as in it ‘jogs the memory’ to pay attention).

It is all a very, very simple method, actually.

Therefore, these other intents such as to be sincere, naive, happy, harmless are in alignment with this pure intent, the closest approximation to pure intent or a PCE a self can achieve, a starting point for those like me who at first hadn’t had a PCE (it worked because I eventually ended up having one, and had 7 during that most successful period).

In each moment, the chance to take responsibility for your individual happiness and harmlessness in a sincere and naive manner. Each failure, no biggie, another opportunity comes as long as one is alive (and conscious…that helps) and attentive to the fact this is the only moment and that ultimate decision of how to experience this moment of being alive is always up for grabs. You can cop out and fall under the influence of an emotion. It’s ok, there is another opportunity to be aware and make a better choice, and another and another…oh and here’s one.

• [quote] ‘Nevertheless, one is still ‘human’ and to be ‘human’ is to err … and most people are very ‘human’ and err repeatedly.
Despite [sincere/ naïve] intent, the actualist lets their attentiveness slip now and then and one finds oneself stuck in some unfortunate – but normal – ‘human’ failure. It is attentiveness that notices that change … and it is attentiveness that reminds one to apply the [sincere/ naïve] intent required to pull oneself out.’ [endquote]

That paragraph then goes on to point out how the process proceeds from there:

• [quote] ‘Slipping into ‘normal’ happens over and over, but the frequency decreases with the assimilation of the fact that the absence of anguish and animosity in one’s moment-to-moment experience allows one’s daily life to be peaceful and harmonious way beyond normal ‘human’ expectations. Once attentiveness has exposed those affective set-backs, sensuousness provides a more considerate and carefree condition … one is happy and harmless for ninety-nine percent of the time.’ [endquote]

And it finishes with both a summary and a lead-in to the next paragraph:

• [quote] ‘It is attentiveness which notices the change from ‘normal’ into happiness and harmlessness, and which reminds the actualist to maintain the [sincere/naïve] intent needed to keep one blithe and benign … and which allows apperception to freely happen. Apperceptiveness makes possible salubrity and sagacity (…).

We can procrastinate, we can self-deceive, we can give excuses, we can be the victim, we can indulge in hedonism, we can hide in escapism, we can go down that same old same old road again…that is fine it is not the end of the world. You are free to make whatever choice you want, but being aware that you can make a choice that is different means you have chosen to allow the same old, same old, whether consciously or not. I don’t know about the rest of you here, but I am definitely tired of that same old, same old now. Something has shifted for me personally of late, I don’t want what has always been.

Ultimately, you have that choice again. How do you want to live this moment of being alive?

1 Like

That’s great to hear :smiley:, its nice to have you writing on the forum again.
I remember when I came back to Actualism a couple of years ago feeling a similar way and making an agreement with myself that I was going to do it no matter what.

3 Likes

Thanks. Yes, I recall seeing your return and renewed focus, it seems things are going really well for you, it has definitely been inspiring. As regards interacting on the forum, it has just been an extremely busy year in my personal life and work life rather than a lack of interest in actualism, but plenty of in the marketplace challenges. (For some reason the word marketplace always creates the image of some man trying to sell fish). When you have 3 kids, a parent with exacerbating dementia, a demanding job, a demanding wife (only joking) it was hard to make the time to catch up and interact on the forum. I was reading but it was like I was just getting through a few comments a day and it was like the forum had become an instagram-like infinite scroll. Things are a bit more balanced at the moment which has helped me catch up.

3 Likes

You actualist people are amazing. I was trying to get my head around investigation and @Kiman recent post was so helpful. And now son_of_bobs post about connection to Pure intent for those who have not had a PCE. just Wow :appreciation:

2 Likes

I was reading the AFT on pure intent last night and noticed something I never had before, and it had a substantial enough effect on my experiencing that I thought it might be worth writing up a bit here.

Ok, so in the bowels of the AFT I came across this passage I had never seen before – just kidding, it was the pure intent footnote on the homepage, something I’ve read several times already. But for some reason, I saw it differently than I ever had before:

[Richard]: “Just to set the record straight: altruism (in its biological sense) is only the key to the process of ‘self’-immolation – going into blessed oblivion – and has nothing to do with living everyday life happily and harmlessly … the appearance of benevolence ensures that all interactions (including with oneself) are benign and beneficial. (…) Life is truly this simple: the pure intent to have the already always existing peace-on-earth become apparent, as evidenced in the pure consciousness experience (PCE), is activated with the nourishment of one’s innate naiveté via ‘the wonder of it all’ … whereupon an intimate connection, a golden thread or clew as it were, is thus established whereby one is sensitive to and receptive of the over-arching benignity and benevolence of the ‘another world’ of the PCE – which is already always just here right now anyway – and one is not on one’s own, in this, the adventure of a lifetime.
And sincerity works to awaken one’s dormant naiveté.”
Richard, Actual Freedom Mailing List, No. 27d, 6 Dec 2002

So here Richard is indicating that pure intent is activated by naivete. Previously I had always thought of it as being sourced in the PCE, partly because he frequently refers to in those terms.

• NAIVETE:

Richard: For those who are unable to recall/ unable to trigger a PCE there is the near-purity of the sincerity which inheres in naiveté – the nearest a ‘self’ can get to innocence whilst remaining a ‘self’ – which naiveté is an aspect of oneself locked away in childhood through ridicule, derision, and so on, that one has dared not to resurrect for fear of appearing foolish, a simpleton, in both others’ eyes and, thus, one’s own.

One surely has to be naïve to contemplate the profound notion that this universe is benign, friendly. One needs to be naïve to consider that this universe has an inherent imperative for well-being to flourish; that it has a built-in benevolence available to one who is artless, without guile.

Naivete allows one to consider the possibility that the universe is inherently benevolent.

• SINCERITY:

to be sincere is to be the key which unlocks naiveté

Richard: Be sincere, utterly sincere … sincerity is sourced in naiveté.

Given that it is, plainly and simply, always ‘my’ choice as to how ‘I’ experience this moment then the optimum manner in which to do so is, of course, sincerely/ naïvely.

Thus the part-sentence in that previous post of mine [quote] ‘and to be sincere is to be the key which unlocks naiveté’ [endquote] is worth expanding upon.

The operative words in that part-sentence are [quote] ‘… to be the key …’ [endquote] and with particular emphasis on the word ‘be’ (rather than ‘have’ for instance).

In other words, to be sincerity (not only have sincerity) is to be the key (not merely have the key) to be naiveté (not just have naiveté).

(Bear in mind that, at root, ‘I’ am ‘my’ feelings and ‘my’ feelings are ‘me’ and it will all become clear).

As there is something I have oft-times encouraged a fellow human being to try, in face-to-face interactions, which usually has the desired effect it is well worth detailing here:

Reach down inside of yourself intuitively (aka feeling it out) and go past the rather superficial emotions/ feelings (generally in the chest area) into the deeper, more profound passions/ feelings (generally in the solar plexus area) until you come to a place (generally about four-finger widths below the navel) where you intuitively feel you elementarily have existence as a feeling being (as in ‘me’ at the core of ‘my’ being … which is ‘being’ itself).

Now, having located ‘being’ itself, gently and tenderly sense out the area immediately below that (just above/just before and almost touching on the sex centre).

Here you will find yourself both likeable and liking (for here lies sincerity/ naiveté).

Here is where you can, finally, like yourself (very important) no matter what.

Here is the nearest a ‘self’ can get to innocence whilst remaining a ‘self’.

Here lies tenderness/ sweetness and togetherness/ closeness.

Here is where it is possible to be the key.

I’m aware that the above was something the affers grabbed onto for awhile and that approach didn’t go anywhere particular for them. For me, the significant part is the connection between Sincerity, Naivete, Pure intent, and the Benignity + Benevolence of the Universe.

Sincerity is about getting the whole of oneself on board. It’s about recognizing what one knows and does not know. It’s about recognizing that one genuinely does want to know the answers to the questions of the universe. That one does indeed want one’s own and everyone’s lives to be better.

• PURE INTENT:

Pure intent is a manifest life-force; a genuinely occurring stream of benevolence and benignity that originates in the perfect and vast stillness that is the essential character of the infinitude of the universe.

(from the same footnote on the home page)

So I drew up a quick diagram to simplify for my own benefit:

Sincerity → Naivete → Pure Intent → Benignity + Benevolence of the Universe

Having read this and not being capable at this time of having a PCE at will but knowing that I could access Naivete, I determined to be as naive as possible in the interest of increasing my connection to pure intent.

I started by ensuring my own sincerity was 100% in place. I wasn’t thinking in terms of Richard’s intuitive-physical directions from above, I was simply paying attention to my own intuitive sense of sincerity.

Once I had that, I opened up to a sense of naivete. Recognition that it could indeed be a fundamentally benevolent universe, despite what all the philosophers, psychologists, moralists, and mystics profess.

As soon as I did that, I felt a palpable benevolence arising in my experiencing. It was very noticeable, and clearly something that I had been ‘blocking’ via constant concern about ‘my’ issues.

This is pure intent.

There is something circular happening here where sincerity allows one to admit that one is naive, and naivete allows one to face the possibility that the universe is indeed inherently benevolent and benign. Once this possibility is grasped, then one’s attention toward the universe immediately makes the ‘possible’ evident: the benevolence & benignity are immediately there to be experienced.

And once the benevolence & benignity are experienced, it can become a runaway train: more benignity & benevolence is more verification that the universe may indeed be benevolent & benign; and more naive recognition of this (seemingly increasingly likely) possibility, the greater the connection to this same benignity & benevolence (which comes from outside of oneself - it is the fundamental character of the universe).

I can also see why Richard emphasizes getting a good dose of pure intent going before attempting the actualism method:

Warning: It is an utterly fundamental proviso that pure intent be dedicatorily in place – as an overriding/ overarching life-devotional goal which takes absolute precedence over all else – before any such whittling away of the otherwise essential societal/ cultural conditioning be undertaken.

(from the AFT home page)

Despite how one might wrangle & attempt to effort their way toward becoming free/investigating, it may well do more harm than good, & certainly be painstaking & slow progress. When pure intent is firmly in place, the benevolence & benignity pouring in seemingly makes everything easy. It simultaneously makes the entire undertaking have a character of enjoyment, and clearly points the way toward the freedom we’re all aiming for.

As something of an afterword, it’s apparent to me now that even if one has had numerous PCEs - as I have - that the connection to pure intent may not be that strong. I was immediately struck upon conclusion of this experiment how much more felicity & enjoyment there is - literally always available, on tap - than what I had as an ongoing daily experience. I will continue to emphasize this in my own Actualism practice for as long as it seems beneficial.

I can remember previous periods in my life when my ongoing connection to pure intent was far more substantial, but various confusions, selfishnesses, and life events seem to have blunted it in time. I’m extremely… “chuffed” to have arrived back where it all began.

4 Likes

Its interesting you say this because from few days I’ve been thinking and experiencing now n then something in the same lines about Pure intent.

What I noticed in myself - which may be peculiar to me or at this stage - is that when I reflect upon Pure intent in terms of purity and harmlessness, then I move towards this good feeling/ divine/ pacifist territory…but instead when I think of the actual world in terms of richness and vitality, then it leads to a more delightful and wondrous place

This also accords with Richards “delight is what is humanly possible , given sufficient pure intent” passage

1 Like

Your description reminds me of how when some people get into actualism it’s all about ‘freedom,’ where for others it’s all about ‘harmlessness’ - it’s a case of ‘The Blind Men and the Elephant,’ where we each have different touch-points & experiences with purity, and we all have yet to go ‘full-monty.’

So long as you know what the words ‘happiness & harmlessness’ mean, it’s hard to go wrong.

Another thing - perhaps that difference has to do with subtle beliefs about “harmlessness = pacifism”

I was reading some of Richard’s selected correspondence the other day and I was very struck by his self-description of having a ‘lack of consideration’:

RICHARD: My previous companion would oft-times say ‘there is no-one in there’ or ‘there is no-one home’ when feeling me out whilst looking at me quizzically … she also would explain to others that, contrary to expectation, it was sometimes difficult to live with Richard (it could be said that living with some body that is not self-centred would always be easy) as it was impossible for her to have a relationship because there was no-one to make a connection with. She would also say that Richard does nor support her, as an identity that is, at all … which lack of (affective) caring was disconcerting for her, to say the least, and my current companion has also (correctly) reported this absence of consideration. Put simply: I am unable to support some-one who does not exist (I only get to meet flesh and blood bodies here in this actual world).

This flew directly in the face of how I was used to thinking about ‘caring,’ and reveals the radical nature of actual caring.

I’m used to thinking of caring consisting of ‘not upsetting anyone’ (emotionally), but here something very different is at hand.

Another sample of this attitude:

Richard: many years ago the identity inhabiting this body was conversing with ‘his’ then mother-in-law, painstakingly explaining why’ he’ was no longer able to do something – something which eludes memory nowadays – and was both surprised and pleased to hear the following words ‘he’ spoke in response to her reproachful ‘oh, you have hurt my feelings’ (manipulative) reply to ‘his’ carefully explicated account:

• ‘Then why carry [harbour/ nurse] such feelings … surely you leave yourself open to all manner of hurt by doing so?’

And yet, when I burst into tears on Richard & Vineeto’s boat in 2018 (having just recalled a particularly painful episode from adolescence), they offered me tissues, told me that my reaction was ‘par for the course’ for someone discussing such matters with them, and to my impression were extremely caring. What’s going on?

Damned if I know - but it’s certainly not the ‘normal’ caring!

Perhaps perusing this page will enlighten us both:
Frequently Asked Questions: The Difference between Feeling-caring and Actual Caring?

3 Likes

When it comes to actual caring, it was clear from one of my earlier short PCEs what its about…once we see in a PCE that it is possible to be completely free of suffering, then it becomes difficult to entertain feeling caring via stuff like consolation, compassion, empathy, pity etc…although admittedly, as a feeling being, these good feelings have continued to arise…So actual caring is primarily about not wanting another person to suffer ever aka having an interest in another’s complete elimination of suffering than having to control suffering

From a PCE, I can see myself offering tissues to someone crying as that is quite a straightforward thing from seeing tears…but saying something like “hey baby don’t cry”…am not exactly sure of that :sweat_smile:

1 Like