Actualism and the Weird

What you’re requesting is Art - roughly defined as the expression of a lived experience, constituting an evocation of what it’s like to have/be that experience.
Richard chose writing as the medium of his art, despite ‘Richard’ having been a visual artist by trade. He made clear his intent for his writings to be not merely informational, but evocative, and even provocative (i.e. with the potential of provoking in the reader the described experience).
‘I’ used to picture myself a writer… It is clear to me that this is not the medium that I am to use for such purpose.

Don’t ask the guy who merely writes user manuals to come up with a poem… or feel the disappointment hahaha.

1 Like

He told me this idea in person, and it was speculative in nature.

It’s related to his observation that no one had become genuinely enlightened since he had become free - the last person he considers ‘genuinely enlightened’ was Franklin Jones aka Da Free John aka Adi Da (funny story - my uncle is a follower of his and would sometimes send my mother his books). Every other person who claims to be enlightened has either been a faker or what Richard calls of the ‘just add water and stir variety.’ I’d be interested if anyone here has any insight into precisely what he means here.

In any case, his explanation for why none have become enlightened since Actual Freedom first became possible was that the psychic web has become weakened in some way which no longer allows enough requisite energy for enlightenment to occur. He likens it to a hot air balloon which has been punctured, not allowing enough hot air to gather for the balloon to rise into the air.

Similarly, as more and more people become free, it may be that becoming free takes less and less ‘doing,’ and at some point perhaps the psychic web will no longer be able to even support normal reality.

And, even more intriguingly, people may not notice that anything had happened: Richard recounted a story to me of a woman he met who entered a PCE without really knowing what it was or noticing much of a difference - she was essentially like “oh, everything has always been perfect!” and then exited it after a week or so, again without ever noticing that anything strange had happened.

Speaking to the larger topic, my biggest eyebrow-raising moment on the AFT came with reading this, a part of the description of Vineeto becoming fully-free:

…those potent surges were of such a magnitude that a rather remarkable man on another continent experienced what he had earlier reported as being a ‘gentle energy’ (which he had further described, then, as being ‘totally harmless’) pouring into him, transfixing him in a sort of immobility (not of the body) and overwhelming him to such an extent that he communicated with me four days later, via email, and we were able to establish, with all due care taken in respect to time-zone differences, that the two events were congruent.

Strange happenings, and yet, apparently, occurring entirely in the actual.

Personally, I am satisfied by the description that this universe is both infinitely large and infinitely dense; there is always more to see, and more to learn - and far, far more than I will ever personally know or experience. There is some explanation that brings all this to square, but it is ‘above my pay-grade’ as well as beyond the view of our physicists and scientists.

2 Likes

I was discussing this with Richard also (in 2012), and the aspect I remember is that, in order to become fully Enlightened, one has to go completely, 100% all-in to the delusional Reality that it is. It is all-encompassing. But such a person who would do this, would psychically sense a psychic ‘hole’ in this Reality, which Richard the Enlightened being left when he Self-immolated (no other Enlightened being has exited that state of being before him). So such a person would sense that something is ‘wrong’ and not be able to go all-in with it.

As Henry indicated, this is speculative in nature. The observation is that there’s been no genuinely Enlightened beings since, and this is a possible explanation for it. What the case actually is, can’t definitively be determined.

Incidentally I myself experientially glimpsed what Enlightenment would be like. I wrote an e-mail to Daniel Ingram about it, and one to Richard after (no replies yet on either front), so I’ll just re-post it here:

(Incidentally part of the reason I wrote that the pragmatic dharma stuff doesn’t even come close, above, is because this experience of what full Enlightenment would be like, would also totally pulverize and render meaningless anything that I attained by following that path.)

2 Likes

This also may explain the ‘just-add-water and mix’ description

Re: the broadcast of goings on in the actual world, I would say that there’s nothing that would be terribly enthralling or even instructive. Anyone who’s read Richard’s diary can appreciate it’s not exactly going to make the NYT best-seller list :grin: Mostly it’s him pottering around, making fun of hippies … much like my life now :joy:

Life is quite simple, exquisite, clear, sensuous and pleasant - much like the accounts he describes in that book.

It’s rare when I have those moments of glimpsing infinitude - or what I used to call shortly after AF ‘the beast!’ There were times when I felt that an an inhabitant of this planet, I was a tiny insect riding the back of a truly enormous creature whose very body was the earth, sky, stars and planets stretching into infinity. Then I remember a few times walking around outside when I experienced the earth as if it were the still living remains of an enormous god. It reminded me of aboriginal dreaming lore where mountains and forests are thought to be the bones and entrails of gods and ancestors and I could see how the actual experience of encountering the world can be translated affectively into mythic narratives and become literalised, spiritualised. Probably not necessary to say but as a disclaimer, I don’t actually think the universe is a giant turtle or that the world is the body of Zeus! Just trying to give you all some sense of the enormity and magic of these moments.

4 Likes

That’s awesome @Srinath reading this reminded me of Vineeto trying to explain her fully free condition to a respondent and using examples of greek mythology where nature is imbibed with various magical creatures.

Also what you wrote goes someway to clarifying for me the meaning of ‘Actualism is the direct experience that matter is not merely passive’. There is not an intelligence or spirit behind the universe but rather there is an even more wondrous situation that we find ourselves in, the very stuff of the universe itself is magical and vibrant and when ‘I’ disappear this flesh and blood body is the very magical stuff being aware of itself, I can see why it requires naiveté to allow that this could be the case.

The other thing that I get from your report is that it is clear that Actual freedom could never be claimed by anyone as ‘theirs’ and neither is it a state that is in any way manufactured. It is simply the direct experience of the marvel and wonder of the actual world, the genuinely existing world.

4 Likes

@Kub933 yes, your Vineeto mythology pickup is good. I didn’t make the connection until quite a bit after these experiences.

For those with an interest in the occult, I found this low budget documentary quite nifty. If you do end up watching it, let me know what you think. 2 seasons free to watch on Youtube.

Another thought. The idea of the ‘re-enchantment of the world’ in modern times has been touted as the driving force for the revival of spirituality, magick, neo-paganism, witchcraft and shamanism. I was drawn to these movements I think for that reason - wanting enchantment. The magical world of my childhood had been changed into a dead, mechanical place that was about brute materiality, cynical politics and money. The PCE shows that you don’t need a belief in fairies and ghosts - underneath it all, the world always was a living, magical and enchanted fairyland. It was adult ‘self’ that was blocking it all.

7 Likes

This reminds me of how a lot of spiritual folk make a big hullabaloo about the pineal gland, which apparently ceases function in adulthood… they are trying to re-activate their ‘third eye’ pineal gland, but what they really want is a return to the magicality of childhood… which, it turns out, is possible, but they’re looking in the wrong place

1 Like

I think maybe the weirdness also stems from everyone here thinking and reflecting about the descriptions as opposed to experiencing them. There have been some examples posted in this thread that stem from experience which everyone may relate to easily (angry vibes and fearful currents). No one considers them weird because they are experienced pretty often, but when you really reflect on them they also fall into the “weird” category. But I’d say the main reason that Richard writes about a lot of unusual weirdness is due to him having been enlightened (the source of “weirdness” I think) and coming out the other side. Some of the weird experiences after actual freedom for both Richard and Vineeto may very well also have to do with being the first to become free.

4 Likes

Could you explain what you mean by “the relative is the absolute”?

@Kiman In Actuality there is no edges to the infinitude of this universe (both in terms of time and space), there is no fixed benchmark for anything to be measured against, as such the relative is the absolute and the immediate is the ultimate :smiley: but I think once again this really is all about confirming this experientially for yourself as opposed to trying to deduct it on a purely intellectual level.

2 Likes

I was just outside now having a cigarette, looking at the birds flying around and contemplating all this. Looking at the birds I thought are those not the very magical creatures that we have made dead and mechanical along with the rest of this world we exist in. Is this world we exist in already not ‘magical and enchanted’ and yet we look to project those things into fantasies and the spiritual dimension.

Because this is exactly how I would experience it as a child, I would experience the natural world with awe and wonder, the conditioning I experienced later made sure that this world of wonder and delight was replaced by a dark, cold reality altogether with a promise of a magical world somewhere ‘beyond this life’… When all along that magical world is here, I know it because I walked around in it many times.

Seeing the above led to a thrill and then to a pulling back but contemplating all this is super fascinating! :grin:

5 Likes

No, there is not enough acceptable data and theory for even the most open-minded skeptics.

It may be of interest to @geoffrey and others to complement the article he shared with the negative review that followed it: https://skepticalinquirer.org/2019/07/why-parapsychological-claims-cannot-be-true

…and the negative review of that review (although it does not essentially change the status of paranormal research as far as I know): https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/20e7/4fceb30d9e32bffb9d44f73d1a02d363de06.pdf

However, having said this about the theory and having inquired and asked so much about Richard’s words on the precise mechanism by which he would explain the weird experiences described by him, it may seem that I am one irredeemable skeptic and/or have not experienced anything similar/weird. In fact, it is rather the opposite…

That ‘negative review’ was hilariously weak. But for one point:

Cardeña, in an effort to find a causal mechanism through which to understand the paranormal, brought in quantum mechanics (QM) and, to a lesser extent, relativity theory and the recently proposed notion of a “block universe” model in which past, present, and future all enjoy a simultaneous coexistence. The effort failed—mainly from some unfortunate misunderstandings of QM, relativity theory, and the fact that the block universe notion is little more than creative speculation.

Agree (even though this is a bit disparaging for the ‘block universe’ which could be said to be a reasonable consequence of Minkowski’s spacetime and its influence on the formulation of relativity - and btw can only be considered “recently proposed” if one considers a century ago “recent” lol).
Here’s what I said in my post:

So what about the data? What does the ‘review’ you point to, say about the data? Wait for it, it’s juicy.

The entire field is bankrupt—and has been from the beginning. Each and every claim made by psi researchers violates fundamental principles of science and, hence, can have no ontological status.
We did not examine the data for psi, to the consternation of the parapsychologist who was one of the reviewers. Our reason was simple: the data are irrelevant.

They did not look at the data at all.
Why? Because, and I quote, “pigs cannot fly”.
Lol.

2 Likes

Haha that would be like the one thing to look at if you were gonna look at only one thing. So much for scientific empiricism…

Exactly. Williams’ review to that negative review pose similar criticisms, among others.

Weird studies had some interesting and creative takes on the Sceptic movement in this podcast:

Seriously guys, who needs LSD when you can read this thread. What an awesome trip! Ultimately productive too.

2 Likes

Haha I can actually relate to the one where he was able to see clearly when it was pitch black outside (to an extent). I’ve had experiences like that while in a hypnogogic state. There were a few times I remember having my eyes closed but was able to see “through” them and into the room as if they were open. Then when I really did open them I had to reflect on if I had actually gotten up earlier. Maybe enlightenment brings all of that stuff within the subconscious into the fore.
I also recall many years ago when I was into spirituality reading about an “etheric plane” which is supposedly an almost exact replica of the physical world which could be experienced and traversed. Maybe not the same thing, but it reminded me of this quote:

" RICHARD: … there is a ‘real’ world that the ‘self’ within superimposes as a veneer over the actual world so precisely that it fits like a surgeon’s glove.

However, it is not just thought (or concepts) that does this."

It makes me think that as a ‘self’ you can never experience the physical world directly, but instead are interacting with the “etheric plane” level.

4 Likes